How Do I Make This Icing Recipe Into Chocolate?

Lounge By Getus Updated 1 Jan 2011 , 3:06pm by Getus

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 5

I love this icing recipe for an occasional alternative to American Buttercream. I am making a cake this weekend that I want to use this on, however...I would like to make it chocolate icing. So, my question is: how do I make it? I am assuming I can add some melted and cooled chocolate....but, I would really like some advice from others who may have done this before.

Here is the recipe: (Creamy Whipped Buttercream Icing ) by Kitagrl
2 lb powdered sugar
1- 12 oz can evaporated milk
1.5 lbs unsalted soft butter
1/2 lb shortening or sweetex
1 tsp vanilla (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp almond flavoring

In bowl, slowly beat ps and 3/4 of the evap milk until smooth. Add soft butter and blend well. Add shortening and blend well. Add flavorings and continue beating. Slowly add the remaining evap milk to the icing and allow to blend well. Blending time can take 20 mins or more.

This is similar to a meringue style icing, but much less work, imho. I just need to figure out how to make a chocolate version. thumbs_up.gif

TIA!
Carla

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 5

If it was me ........ icon_rolleyes.gif

I'd add cocoa to the powdered sugar (how much? I've no idea. Enough until "it looks right".) Bear in mind that when adding add'l powder, you may have to add add'l liquid (be it liquid, butter, shortening, whatever) to balance the powder.

But mixing cocoa with the p.sugar will make it easier to blend.

Getus Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, Indydebi! Your BC recipe is the one I use exclusively! Love it, love it, love it! It tastes great and I can always depend on it to turn out great each and every time. The few times I've wanted to make it chocolate, I melted some chocolate squares and added it to the already made batch of icing, along with a tad more HWC. Mixed a little longer...and it is perfect.

Anyway....I wonder if I could add some melted chocolate to this icing recipe and have success? or...do you think I should stay with adding the cocoa with the ps in the beginning?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:16am
post #4 of 5

I believe people have used melted chocolate in my recipe and its worked great for them. Just always be aware to balance the extra dry/liquid ingredients with the opposite dry/liquid ingredients.

Getus Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 5

Well, I made the recipe as usual. Then, I added 2 oz ( melted and cooled to 98 degrees) semi sweet choc squares per cup of icing, and whipped a few more minutes. It turned out perfect. I didn't have to add any other ingredients....just the melted chocolate. The texture was perfect, and it tasted great, as well. Success! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%