Impression Mats Or Embossers??

Decorating By Spectra Updated 1 Jan 2011 , 10:21pm by FlourPots

Spectra Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 17

So I really want to get a diamond impression mat, but when I was looking on this website they have the mat, but also have an embosser? I'm not really sure what would be better? Okay, uploading the picture didn't work, so here is the link to the picture: http://www.flourconfections.ca/shop/patchwork-cutters-quilting-embosser-p-1090.html

16 replies
FlourPots Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:12am
post #2 of 17

I would recommend the embosser...I used the basketweave one at the bottom of the page in your link, for this cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1657394

It worked great...very, very easy.

I have a diamond impression mat (the clear plastic kind)...I think it's meant for buttercream...it didn't work well on fondant at all.

Karen421 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 17

You can also use a florescent lighting panel, they are cheap and have different textures. icon_smile.gif

Spectra Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you!

Spectra Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 17

FlourPots may I ask how it is used? Is it something you use once the fondant is on the cake and lightly press it into the fondant, or are there any special tricks?

FlourPots Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 17

Definitely emboss before putting the fondant on your cake.

I tried it on a spare piece of fondant first, just to see how hard I needed to press and if it would be easy to continue the pattern without a noticeable break.
After that, I did it one time, the one you see on my cake...it's that easy to work with.

I rolled out a long band of brown fondant, cut a clean edge with a pizza cutter on one side, then used that edge as a guide to line up the embosser.

Spectra Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 17

Ohh, that's different! So do you leave the sides of the cake in icing, then put the embossed piece on or do you cover it in a base fondant, then put the embossed piece on? I think it looks really neat, and I love it on your cake.

FlourPots Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks!

I covered my cake with ganache (icing would work too), let it set firm, then I embossed the fondant and put it right on top.

Bakingangel Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 17

Spectra I have both. They are totally different in size. The diamond impression mat will cover a 4 inch high or higher cake side and produce a larger diamond pattern like you see on wedding cakes.

The embosser is on a much smaller scale.

Hope this helps.

Spectra Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 17

Awesome! Thank you both so much! I want to try ganache actually, heard it's really great for under fondant. I think I'll try this technique for my daughter's birthday cake in a month. icon_smile.gif

Spectra Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 17

Oh one last question, I promise! Since you do the tops and the sides separate, would you put the top on first or last? And since they are smaller in size, how do you cover a 4 inch tall cake?

FlourPots Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 17

I put the top on first, I made it slightly smaller so it wouldn't interfere with the wrapped embossed piece.
The twisted trim and yarn balls covered it well, so it didn't have to fit exactly.

Mine didn't require this, but if you need the pattern taller than the 3-1/4" height of the embosser, you can get it easily by placing one line of the embosser tool right on top, of the top line of fondant you just embossed...you have to place it carefully so you won't get a double imprint...you're basically going over what you've already embossed, but only one line...please tell me if this makes sense, LOL!
This will give you a continuous, clean pattern.

Spectra Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 17

Oh, yes, that makes sense, thank you again! icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 17

You're welcome...glad to help icon_smile.gif

__Martha__ Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 17

I wish I hadn't looked in here. Off to get my Visa card .... icon_rolleyes.gif

Bakingangel Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 17

Flour Pots, love your cakes!