Gumpaste-Make It Or Buy Pre-Made?

Decorating By DiLynn Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 11:01pm by DaPom

DiLynn Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:16am
post #1 of 18

We are preparing to make gumpaste flowers for wedding cupcakes. Looking for suggestions as to whether we should make our gumpaste, or buy premade. Either way, does someone have a recipe to share, or a preferred brand they use? This is a first for us, so we are needing some advice. Thx

17 replies
Lizzard1 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:39am
post #2 of 18

As far a gumpaste goes, I always buy mine pre-made. I have never made mine from scratch so i can't give you any advice in that department icon_sad.gif But, I like to use Wilton brand gumpaste and I like it, it works great for me. Actually, its one of the only products I use from wilton (there fondant is TERRIBLE). I hope this helps, and good luck icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:12am
post #3 of 18

I've used pre made gumpaste and I've made gumpaste, I do prefer Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe, but when in a pinch, I use the Satin Ice gumpaste that I purchase. Here is Nicholas Lodges recipe:
The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.
4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)
1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl fitted with the flat paddle.
2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.
3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.
4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.
5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes. During this time measure off the tylose into a small container.
6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)
7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the tylose in over a five second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.
8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of
powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.
9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.
10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature.

icer101 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:34am
post #4 of 18

i love nick lodges recipe and i love wilton premade. I don,t like wiltons g/p that you make from the can. horrible. again the premade is great.

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 18

I also vote for Nick Lodge or Wilton pre-made. Making it is easy and a bit less expensive, but pre-made can be convenient (esp. if you use the printable 50% off AC Moore coupon this week, check their website for link).

tracycakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 18

I agree with the rest. Nick Lodge or Wilton pre-made. Nick Lodge is so much cheaper that Wilton.

mareg Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 18

Ditto the Wiluons premade or Nick Lodges recepie.

leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 18

I keep the CK powdered mix onhand at all times. That way I can mix up just what I need when i need it.

Loucinda Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 18

N. Lodge recipe is my favorite, and it keeps for a very long time if stored properly.

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 18

I occasionally make a batch of the Wilton in a can and the CK mix and knead them together -- I love the consistency and ease of use from that. When I'm feeling adventurous I use Nick's recipe too. It all depends on what I'm doing and how much time I have to do it in. icon_biggrin.gif

silverdragon997 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 18

I've never tried to make it. I always use pre-made. Having tried both Wilton and Satin Ice, I prefer Satin Ice. It seems smoother to me, easier to work with.

Cupcations Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 18

How long does Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste stay good to use??

cakediva3010 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 10:44am
post #13 of 18

Can you halve this recipe to make a smaller batch.

thatslifeca Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:29pm
post #14 of 18

angel_cupcake> if you store n. lodges gumpaste in the fridge it will last up to
6 months

cakediva> I have never halfed the recipe, but I don't see why you can't.

icon_biggrin.gif

pastryqueen9 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 18

Is Crisco still good to use in the Nick Lodge recipe since they have changed their recipe and don't use trans fat anymore?

thatslifeca Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryqueen9

Is Crisco still good to use in the Nick Lodge recipe since they have changed their recipe and don't use trans fat anymore?

I still use it, and it seems to work just fine.

FullHouse Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #17 of 18

I've halved the recipe and it worked just fine, but it really does keep for a long time in the fridge so I usually make the whole recipe, I've never had to throw any away.

DaPom Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:01pm
post #18 of 18

I've only ever used Wilton pre-made, but I have a can of the powder as well. I won't use pre-made fondant, it's too easy and inespensive to whip up a batch of MMF at home. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%