Ok - So What Do I Do????

Decorating By Karen421 Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 7:31am by Motorhead

Karen421 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:19am
post #1 of 17

I am making a Jack Daniels whiskey bottle for my DD's co-worker. It is 6â x 6â x 24â, a chocolate cake with a plain vanilla butter cream filling, covered in ganache and fondant. I have built a strong, stable structure, it was due on Fri, and now he wants it tomorrow, and even offered to pay me (which I wonât take). I may be able to get it done - however hereâs the dilemma; - he wants it early, so he can go to a party 3 hours away. So - he and the cake would drive 3 hours to a party. The cake would stay in the car, then the next day drive 1 ½ hours back to the party on Friday. I am sure my support will be great, but I donât know about his driving, or who else will be in the car or what the temperatures will be. It is suppose to be in the high 50âs. Should I just tell him I canât get it done by tomorrow? Should I just do my best - get it done and hope that 2 nights in a car and a 4 or 5 hour car ride will be fine? icon_surprised.gif

16 replies
idgalpal Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 17

If you decide to try to get it done and give it to him tomorrow TAKE PICTURES of it and be sure to tell him you can't be responsible for it after it leaves your hands. There are way too many variables. It makes me cringe to think about it. I had a guy pick up a two tier cake and put it on the front seat floor of his truck to transport it. It made it okay because I saw pictures of it at the party.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

BlueMoon73 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 17

I agree, definitely take pictures and tell him all of the instructions, etc!! Include that you are not responsible once he picks up the cake! I always get nervous if someone picks up a cake and is taking it far away!!

Karen421 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 17

I will definitely take pictures! I am working on it now, so I may get it done, but I told my DD and she is going to talk to him tomorrow and explain exactly what he is asking!

cheatize Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:14am
post #5 of 17

If it's going to be in the 50's, it will be hotter in the car. You need to tell him that it cannot be left in the car. It is your responsibility to do so, in my opinion. If you tell him and he does it anyway, then it's his problem.

Karen421 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 17

I agree, and I didn't get much sleep last night over this! However; it's worse now, today is going to be near 70 with an overnight of 59. icon_surprised.gif I am thinking about offering to drive it 40 minutes - 1/2 way to the final destination on Friday. This way he will only have to drive a little extra. In my mind, I am thinking these are college parties, which makes me picture a drunk friend getting in his car and pushing the box sideways or worse!

brincess_b Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 17

Seriously, you are offering to drive the extra distance, for free?! Why? The cake will still be in a car for ages, it will still be driven by him, so all you are doing is giving your self problems, not avoiding them.

give him an instruction and care sheet, have him sign a copy - the importance of having the ac on max before putting cake in the car, flat surface, slow careful driving, not leaving the cake in the car over night - store safely at room temp - an most importanty that the cake is accepted at handover, you are not responsible for it, he accepts that he is now responsible.

If you have advised him of cake and it's nature, and he still wants to collect early, make a long journey, and drive however he wants, then he has made his decision.
xx

aligotmatt Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 17

So you're saying it's a 6x6x 24" tall cake? An upright JD bottle, not laying down?

I would say, you are paying for the cake, so you can do whatever you want, I'll have it ready and give you an instruction sheet, but I think because of the structure of the cake you ordered, it would be best if you came back and picked it up and took it directly to the party rather than take it an extra 3 hours in the car.

If it were laying down, I wouldn't bat an eye, but I've done a lot of bottle cakes, and even if you have awesome armature, it's still sugar, and a 24" straight up piece of sugar getting vibrated for 3 hours, then another 1.5 hours sound like cracks all over the place to me.

Karen421 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 17

Yes, it's an upright bottle! I just sent him an email explaining what can and may happen if he takes it. I guess we will see what he wants to do!

brincess_b my DH said the same thing!!! icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:27am
post #10 of 17

Good news all around!! My DD and I were able to talk him into waiting until Friday, which made me very happy, and he was also happy with the way it came out! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1904407

tokazodo Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:44am
post #11 of 17

Karen, that's probably one of the best bottle cakes I've seen here on cc. You did a great job. I'm glad it all worked out.
What did you use as the label on the bottle?

cakegirl1973 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:53am
post #12 of 17

Holy smokes! You did an awesome job!!! I'd love to know how you did the label, too.

Karen421 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:58am
post #13 of 17

Thanks, I had fun with this!!! Since I don't drink, I had no idea what it looked like, so I bought a bottle, scanned the labels, and then printed them out on my edible printer. icon_lol.gif

Evoir Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:27am
post #14 of 17

Karen...I love your big bottle!

If you can answer this please: Does the glucose and vodka mix stay shiny and what ratio do you use to get it to paintable consistency? Thanks!

NanaSandy Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 5:37am
post #15 of 17

I have used the same ratio for the shiny effect. I used 50/50 mix of corn syrup and vodka. It stayed shiny and looked great! It looks like it is wet, but dries nicely!

cblupe Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 6:44am
post #16 of 17

Your cake is amazing!

Motorhead Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 7:31am
post #17 of 17

i think you did an awesome job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%