Ganache Instead Of Buttercream Question

Decorating By holliellen Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 2:17am by tryingcake

holliellen Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 12

Hi,
I would like to get some instruction on using ganache instead of buttercream under my fondant. After you put it on how do you smooth it out to make a good surface for the fondant. I guess I just dont quite get how to do it.
Thanks,
Hollie

11 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 12

Hi Holly!

I put my ganache on and try to get it as smooth as possible while it's still spreadable. Once it firms up a little bit, I run my metal spatula under hot hot water (or sometimes I'll have a large cup with really hot water in it next to me). Dry the spatula off and then run it along the sides and corners to get smooth and crisp surfaces & corners. The hot spatula melts the chocolate a little but it's easier to work with because the rest of the ganache is firm, and it's going anywhere!

What I've noticed with ganache, is that it's even more important to get a super smooth base than with buttercream because you will definately see lines and dents under the fondant more with ganache, so I just make sure I take my time.

Hope that helps!

Vanessa7 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 12

Yummy-in-my-tummy, can you cover ganache with buttercream?

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 12:03am
post #4 of 12

Hey Vanessa, I've never tried that before. I love how I can get crisp corners with the ganache, buttercream is definately not one of my strengths, so I'm trying to move away from it....

I haven't heard or anyone putting buttercream on top of their ganache, but I don't see why you couldn't try it. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I think that if you did it, you would probably not want super smooth ganache, maybe leave it a little bit textured so the buttercream had something to "hang onto" - otherwise it might just slide right off!

What the heck, give it a shot! You might be starting a new cake trend! haha

holliellen Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:00am
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much for the information!

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 12

I've put a thin layer (just a bit more than a crumb coat) of buttercream over ganache and it worked well. I liked that it helped the fondant stick w/o me having to use preserves over the ganache, and also liked that we had a layer of buttercream to eat.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 12

I think I might give it a try...

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa7

Yummy-in-my-tummy, can you cover ganache with buttercream?

OMG that sounds yummy.. I dont even want a pretty cake, just a cake w/ both ganache and BC .. this is naughty... very naughty...

holliellen Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 12

So do you have to put anything between the ganache and the fondant?

kdbohm Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 12

I have put ganache under buttercream before. It was a dark chocolate cake and the ganache was made with a Tahitian Vanilla Dark Chocolate Chips. The ganache was just a very thin layer and added almost a fudge type taste to the cake.

brincess_b Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 12

you can use a smearing of water or alcohol, or boil apricot jam (any works but apricot has least flavour), and brush that on, before using fondant.
xx

tryingcake Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:17am
post #12 of 12

I've done brushed embroidery with buttercream over ganache before - turned out really nice.. But never covered a whole cake with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%