My Vow Renewal Cake & Using A Candle Holder W/pics

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 3:44am by MissBlu

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 11

WARNING: LONG! SORRY in advance

Greetings ALL,
Guess what? My hubby and I are renewing our wedding vows for our 10th anniversary. We're renewing on June 11, 2010 instead of on our original date of July 14th b/c he's going back to Afghanistan at the end of June. We just found out he was extended for a year icon_cry.gif

Anyway, back to my question(s):

I'm making our cake and I want to use a candle-holder to separate the tiers. I'm a candle-holder junkie. Every time I'm at Ross, yard sales or the thrift store (yes, I LOVE thrift stores & yard sales), I buy them. So, naturally I want to incorporate that into my theme. But, HOW?

1) How in the world do I prevent the candle-holder from tipping over? I know I have to dowel the cakes as I would with tiered/stacked cakes for support. I know I have to glue (using R.I. or BC, which one ?) the candle-holder on a thin cardboard prior to sitting it on the base cake.

I'm just a little confused on how I would prevent the top cake or the candle-holder itself, from going "TIMBER" like my mother's birthday cake did when I used the elephant candle-holder icon_eek.gif (the candle-holder in question is the 1st on the left, under the 1st link).

2) Do I need to HOT GLUE a cake board (or plate?) on top of the candle-holder then sit the cake on top? Or is hot gluing even necessary?

The candle-holder I want to use for my vow renewal cake is the 4th one (it's the marble-looking, Ivory/champagne/peach colored one). Our colors are Ivory (or peach/champagne. They all look alike to me) & Chocolate. I haven't decided HOW I want the cake to look other than it being covered in Ivory fondant w/brown accents, with maybe a monogram of our Initials or a Cameo, OR maybe some RI swags/ or swirly thingy OR, brush embroidery roses/flowers. I'm still working out the details. I have time!

Below are some pics of my candle-holder collection and some cakes that I found on the net using candle-holders as cake separators.

My collection of candle holders
--

Edna@designmeacake--

Got from google--

10 replies
GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 11

That's a question I've always asked myself. I want to know what's under the candle holder? Is there a plate and then covered with fondant? Hope someone can give some input on this.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 11

Congratulations and I'm sorry!

You can pm Edna, I bet she will tell you how she did the one in the photo.
icon_smile.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 11

Me too GL79!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Congratulations and I'm sorry!

You can pm Edna, I bet she will tell you how she did the one in the photo.
icon_smile.gif

Karen421, I already did. She just told me,

Quote:
Quote:

The cake has a cake board under it and the candle holder has a support system underneath.

Edna icon_smile.gif
www.designmeacake.com

PS..Excuse my spelling, too many emails might make me write too fast!..lol

So, that's why I'm over here asking you lovely people the same questions.

Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 11

I would use the SPS under the candle holder and hot glue the holder to the SPS plate, then use foam core or plywood on top to the holder, depending on how many tiers you want to go up. HTH icon_smile.gif (I do tend to over support though!)

Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 11

OH - your candle holders are very nice BTW! icon_smile.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I would use the SPS under the candle holder and hot glue the holder to the SPS plate, then use foam core or plywood on top to the holder, depending on how many tiers you want to go up. HTH icon_smile.gif (I do tend to over support though!)

Thank You! But, What does SPS stand for? I would rather it be over supported than under supported. My mother's 51st birthday cake went TIMBER! Boy was I upset.

Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 11

Yep! I have been there! That's why I switched to the SPS. Single Plate System. Leah has a tutorial on it, I tried it and am hooked! I have a 1/4 mile driveway that is gravel and currently potholes and I can go up it (yes it is also a hill) with a 4 tier cake!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

icon_smile.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:52am
post #9 of 11

WOW! Thank you so much. I've read the instructions twice so I can "get it" b/c I'm "SLOWWWW" icon_razz.gif

Karen421 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:58am
post #10 of 11

No problem - and once you do it once, it will make a lot more sense and it's soooooooo easy!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:44am
post #11 of 11

I like the one next to the elephant.... I look forward to seeing your finish cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%