Mmf Questions.....

Decorating By simplysouthern Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 12:22am by FlourPots

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to try Mmf for the first time today and had a few questions that I know you CC experts will know icon_smile.gif

~ when is the best time to add color? And is gel ok vs liquid? I've seen some say to add color during the melting process and some say to knead in just like regular fondant...after its set and ready for use.

~ Hardening......I know on its own it will not set but can I add gumtex and let rest for a couple days to harden?

~ is it best to refrigerate cake after covering in mmf or leave out at room temp? Will it sweat if refrigerated??

Thanks y'all I'm so excited to try Rhondas mmf!!
Hollie

4 replies
Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 5

You can add gel color to the melted marshmallows or knead it in later, but it is definitely easier to add at the melting stage if you are doing it all one color. Don't forget that if you are going for a dark color and using a lot of gel, you will need to cut back on the liquid in the recipe. I leave mine out at room temp wrapped in plastic wrap and then put into a ziplock bag in a box or cabinet to prevent fading. You can add gumtex or do a 50/50 blend of gum paste and fondant if you need the decorations to harden.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Marla that's super helpful icon_smile.gif

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:30am
post #4 of 5

When I make MMF I always use gel color to color it no matter when I add the color. If I need a large batch of a single color I add it to the melted mix. If a small batch is needed then I just make it white and color it to my liking after it has cooled.

I always keep my cakes in the cooler. Before I cove the cake I chill it and I always keep my cakes cold until I deliver or they pick them up. (they will warm to room temp by the time they get to it icon_smile.gif )

HTH and good luck with the MMF!!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 5

I never color at the melting stage...I knead it in after (I use gel colors), but I ALWAYS microwave it first so it's very pliable and super easy to blend.

I use tylose for hardening, but I never add it before-hand and let it rest.

I sometimes refrigerate (I'm a hobbyist) at certain points, but if it's longer than a day it gets gummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%