Fillng In Cupcakes?

Baking By cakelady2266 Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 10:12pm by Crazyforcupcakes

cakelady2266 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 9

I have never done filling in cupcakes. How is it done? Do you fill them with a tip after baking, like donuts? Or before baking, like muffins. What type filling is best, fruit jelly type or cream pudding types? I'm so lost here.

8 replies
Mb20fan Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 9

I bought a cupcake filling kit - comes with a long tip and I don't even core it, I just poke the tip in the cupcake and squeeze (once the cupcake has cooled). The onlly filling I've used so far was a whipped-cream cream-cheese type of filling - very light and fluffy so as not to over power the flavor of the cake and icing. That's just my experience. icon_smile.gif

All4Show Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 9

I have a Debbie Meyer cupcake genius pan. It comes with a bracket of silicon plugs that you pop on over your cupcakes before baking. They come out with little cores already in them for filling. I love it.

cakelady2266 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 9

Since cupcakes have become so popular for weddings I have got to step up my game. The only fillings I have heard anyone say they used in cupcakes was a cream/pudding type. The bride is coming tomorrow to sample cake and filling flavors, but I don't want to give her a jelly like filling that will get absorbed by the cake. Is that possible?

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 9

I use an apple corer. Like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mka900/3445619960/

cakelady2266 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much imagenthatnj . That looks like a simple and cost effective way of getting the job done. And that answers my question about fillings too. You are a lifesaver.

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 9

You're welcome. Thank goodness for smart people. I wish I had thought of it myself, but I'm glad I found it long ago. I didn't like the bismark tip and what it does to cupcakes.

kdbohm Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 9

I have used both the longer tip to fill as well as the apple core. I found with the tip, I would inject filling in three different spots to make sure there was enough filling. Both the tip and apple corer took about the same amount of time, so no difference for me there.

As far as fillings, I've used almost anything that I've put into cakes. I don't use a lot of jelly type fillings, but don't know if in that small amount, there would be that much absorbed into the cupcake. I've filled with mostly pudding and mousse type fillings and everyone loves it.

Good luck!

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 9

Williams-Sonoma has a cupcake corer for $5. It has a little plunger, so you can push the removed piece out easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%