My Fav Tool Broke, The Stitching Tool :(

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm by Kaylani

ConfectionsCC Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 14

Well, the tool has seen better days and will be missed (until I can get ahold of a new one). Problem. I wanted to use it on a hat cake tom!!!! SO, will painstakingly piping every little stitch with RI still give me a great effect on a hat that I am looking for? I want it to look as realistic as possible, but I am worried...anyone have any pictures of hand piping the stitch on a cake? how did it look? I have never done it before, so I am quite nervous! Going to eat an extremely healthy meal and get lots of rest tonight so my hand will be as steady as possible!

13 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 14

If you're going to go that far, you might as well use a straight pin and cut the pattern in, instead.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 14

Go to the fabric store and get a tracing wheel, you'll get the same effect.

Loucinda Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 14

Walmart even had the tracing wheel in their fabric dept. I got one there.

Kaylani Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 14

I like the one that I bought in the fabric department a lot better than the one for caking. It is deeper icon_smile.gif

ConfectionsCC Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 14

Oh, and I already have the brim of the hat drying, is it too late to do the stitch pattern in it, or should I make another one? (Due tomorrow, I can figure out a way to support it)

ConfectionsCC Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 14

I broke the brim of my hat icon_cry.gif I have a template I made for the brim by cutting a cereal box into the shape I need, then completely wrapped it in parchment paper. Would it it okay to just smear some icing right on that and lay the fondant over it, instead of trying to make the fondant dry, hold its shape, and pray it doesnt break, again? I am taking pictures over every step in case it turns out so good I can make my own tutorial icon_biggrin.gif

Kaylani Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 14

I am having trouble picturing what you are working on. I am sorry I could not be more help. Maybe you could post a picture of the in progress so we could see it?

pattycakesnj Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 14

why not make the new brim out of gumpaste since that would dry by tomorrow

malakainrop Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 14

I would be doing exactly what you are suggesting - much more stable!!
just remove it before the cake is cut -

ConfectionsCC Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 14

I will post a picture tonight of what I am making! It is a basball cap, but not baseball, football, Colts to be exact! For the brim of the hat, I cut a cereal box into the shap I needed, covered in wax paper, then a thin layer of icing, then fondant! I arched it like a hat would be when I put it on the cake and because its not dry, I places small skewers underneath for support. It actually turned out really neat! Finishing
final details now~

beginner1933 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 14

Maybe you could check out the episode of amazing wedding cakes when then did the baseball fan cake that included a basecap for tips

ConfectionsCC Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:15am
post #13 of 14

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1903632
Finished the cake! A friend brought over her stitching tool for me to borrow icon_biggrin.gif

Kaylani Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 14

Looks great!! Glad it worked out! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%