Royal Icing On Swiss Meringue Buttercream- Help Please...

Decorating By caincakemaker Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 8:49am by brincess_b

caincakemaker Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone decorated a swiss meringue buttercream cake with royal icing? I have a wedding cake this weekend and I have to travel with it about 2 hours. They did not want fondant but there is a lot of piping work to be done. I hate regular buttercream for the taste but I am afraid the meringue buttercream will not hold up to the RI decorations.

Any suggestions would be SO appreciated!!

Thank you,

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 6

Yes I have--but you get out a swipe of smbc right now and pipe some royal decor on there and see how you like it. You should be fine but test it so you can create your own level of confidence about it.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 6

But I often use regular buttercream on my smbc to decorate with. Either way you'll probably be fine.

Loucinda Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 6

I am thinking I would test it out first. SMBC doesn't crust, so won't the butter in there seep into the royal and break it down? (especially if it gets room temp. during the transport?)

I know royal works on the crusting buttercream, but it is crusted so it is kind of sealed so the royal doesn't break down.

caincakemaker Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:05am
post #5 of 6

My email isn't emailing me when I get a post reply so I didn't think anyone had an answer for me icon_sad.gif

Anyway, I didn't have time to try it out (totally waited too long to answer my own question, hate when I do that!) so I decided just to do buttercream on buttercream. I felt the same way about the butter breaking down the royal. I am just not as good at getting smooth edges with regular buttercream, but hey, if they were paying me a mint (or even more than the ingredients cost) I would have made an entire cake just to try it out. Or if the bride had let me use fondant....

Thanks so much for the help ladies!!

brincess_b Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 8:49am
post #6 of 6

I have ready the royal on uncrusted bc is fine - it's only when making it you need to worry about grease.
Also when you start a topic, you need to click 'watch this post' or you won't get notifications.

Quote by @%username% on %date%