Luster Dust On Royal Icing

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 2:53pm by Niki11784

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 6

I am sure there is a thread about this somewhere, I just couldnt find it. How do I paint luster dust on Royal Icing? Do i mix it in wet royal icing, or paint it on with vodka when it is dry? Doesnt the vodka melt the royal icing?

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 6

dont mix it in with the ri, it really doesnt work the same. it is however a good idea to colour your ri the same colour ie: colour it grey for silver ri.
mix it with alcohol, and just paint it on (you can dry dust too but the look is different). as alcohol evaporates so fast, it doesnt have a chance to soak into the icing or anything.
xx

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:04am
post #3 of 6

Just be careful not to oversaturate - I did ruin a few RI letters once b/c I went too heavy with my luster dust mixture. They never fully dried again and crumbled. Most of them came out ok and dried just fine, but I went a little heavy on the ones I ruined. FYI.

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:53am
post #4 of 6

I agree with the above posts, let the RI dry and then paint on a thin layer of the "paint" to get the desired affect icon_smile.gif

heathandhail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathandhail Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 6

Check out the NYE wedding cake in my photos, the scrolls are royal icing painted with lustre dust that has been mixed with vodka. I let the royal icing dry hard over night first.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 6

I have tried in the past to paint RI letter transfers, and they did crumble. Was it b/c the paintbrush was too wet? Whats the ration of lustre dust to vodka?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%