Pastillage And Poured Sugar????

Decorating By Jaimelt76 Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 5:01pm by imagenthatnj

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 4

I have a movie theme cake to make and they would like a bucket of popcorn and a cup of pop. They only need the cake to feed 30 so that would be the popcorn bucket. My question is would a cup made out of pastillage withstand the heat of poured sugar? If it won't withstand the heat does anyone have an idea how to make a cup of pop not made of cake or RKT? Thank you

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 4

why *cant* the cup be made of something especially edible like cake or rkt (or brownie with piping gell - would that work...?). they might only need the 30 servings, but if they want something thats easier to make in cake then so be it. pastilage and poured sugar is still a bit of work, so surely the pricing difference isnt too big, compared to making a bit extra batter.

ive never tried pastilage and hot sugar, but id be pretty sure it would melt! guess it depends how pourabel the sugar is at lower temps? could just fill a regular cup, ice the outside and inner rim.
or make it a lidded cup, then you really dont need to worry about what is inside!
xx

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 4

Could you use an ice cream cone with cake or brownie inside and decorate the outside to look like a cup of soda? Just a thought.
I haven't been brave enough to try pastilage yet.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 4

Go to pastryna.com and check out the 2008 issue #5. Click on it, go to pages 66 to 68 to find popcorn bags made of cake with step-by-step instructions from Elisa Strauss of Confetti Cakes.

There's also all kinds of sugar work and pastillage, but I don't know where it is in the mags.

The mags are fully downloadable and you can print high res too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%