Question About Stacking - What Does Cake Sit On?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 1:48pm by Spectra

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone. I'm trying to figure out what to use for each tier of cake to sit on when stacking a cake. Like would a 6 inch cake sit on one of those 6 inch cake boards that are covered in tinfoil? Would I then put wax paper between the cardboard and the cake below it?

Thanks!

8 replies
sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 9

A 6" cake would sit on a 6" cardboard cake round. These can be found at your local craft store or even Walmart. You do not need to put wax paper between the cake and the cardboard round. For stacking you can use the SPS system which provides cake plates and pillars or you can use dowels.

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, you would put a 6 inch cake on a 6 inch cardboard round so the supports hold the board and not go into the cake. Although I watched a tutorial yesterday on Satin Ice's website and the professional said to cover the cake board that is under the cake with tin foil so it doesent saturate the cake board and make it to soft to support the cake correctly, which makes sense to me.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliellen

Yes, you would put a 6 inch cake on a 6 inch cardboard round so the supports hold the board and not go into the cake. Although I watched a tutorial yesterday on 's website and the professional said to cover the cake board that is under the cake with tin foil so it doesent saturate the cake board and make it to soft to support the cake correctly, which makes sense to me.

I haven't watched the Satin Ice tutorials in awhile, but I really disagree with whomever suggests that you cover your cakeboards with tin foil (or saran, or wax paper, etc.).

I feel strongly that if you cover them, you greatly increase the risk that foil, saran, or wax paper will come up with the cake when the cake is cut--YUCK!

If you use waxed cake boards, there is no reason for them to absorb moisture from the cake sitting on them.

I use foam core that I cut to shape with a hot knife tool. I "wax" the boards with melted soy wax or paramount crystals. No seepage, no stuff coming up when cake is cut.

Rae

holliellen Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 9

Rae,
I agree with what your saying about the foil coming up with the slices of cake. YUK! I was actaully wondering about that. I use waxed cake boards and they do get a little saturated but I think they would be ok for stacking. I haven't done a lot of stacked cakes so im not postive. Do any of the pros want to weigh in on this one that use the waxed cardboard cake boards?
Thanks,
Hollie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 9

I always get a nice chuckle from the advice about cardboards getting so soggy that they will collapse! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif They are cardboard ... not rice paper!

since i cut 95% of my wedding cakes, I am there to see first hand how NOT soggy these things get. They get discolored, they get grease spots, but they do NOT get so soggy that they disintegrate.

Forget the overkill.

holliellen Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the info Indy!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 9

agree with Rae, no foil or plastic wrap, too much chance of getting a piece into the cake. My boards never get that saturated that there is a chance they will collapse

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for you help! I never used the cake boards like that, but will plan to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%