Stencil On Buttercream?

Decorating By decoratingfool Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm by Buttercream_warrior

decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:04am
post #1 of 9

My daughter is making a wedding cake, and she was wondering if you can stencil on buttercream? Also will black royal icing bleed on the buttercream? I have read somewhere if you add black buttercream to RI it does not bleed as much, is that accurate??? Thank you for your help in advance...

8 replies
grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 9

I stencil on buttercream all the time and love it. Just make sure the base coat is crusted well before stenciling. My tiffany lamps were buttercream stenciled on buttercream as well as the lace on my daughter's wedding cake plus abunch of other cakes I've made. I don't know about the black on the white. I've done choc on white, red on white, The tiffany lamp have black outlining the other colors on white.
Also, make sure you wash and dry the stencil before moving it to a new spot on the cake so you don't take the chance of smearing any residual icing on the stencil onto the cake.

decoratingfool Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 9

Thank you for responding to my mom's post. This is now her daughter. If you don't mind sharing a little bit of information with me, what recipe buttercream do you use? Also do you refrigerate your cakes? And if so, does the condensation cause any of the colors you use to bleed into the white buttercream ever?

Thank you in advance for help.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 9

Hi I've stenciled 2 buttercream wedding cakes recently this year. One is blue- Carmella and the other is Cream and Red - Laque. Feel free to look. As the others have said, use a crusting buttercream like Wilton or Indydebi or Edna from Design Me a Cake , let chill then add stencil using a thinner BC or RI to spread over stencil. Go over the stencil with a angle spatula again to get the excess icing off. Take off the stencil from one side, removing it off slowly. Wash or rinse the stencil off with each application on the cake to keep from smudging with the icing being used to stencil. HTH

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:58am
post #5 of 9

i did a damask buttercream stencil this year.. i used a crusting buttercream and waited a good long time to make sure it was dry and crusted then made a black buttercream that was easier to spread ..i used a gift card to spread the stencil and my 9 year old daughter held the stencil still for me i agree with the last comment to remove it slowly..i didnt have any trouble with the bleeding..i would recommend dying your buttercream the day before so it will have time to turn really black..heres a pic

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1732606.html

decoratingfool Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:05am
post #6 of 9

Thank you all so much! I am so relieved to read this. I am feeling much better about this now. I am having a hard time finding a stencil though, does anyone have any good sites for finding a stencil that won't be HUGE for a cake. The cake sizes that it will be used on is a 6" and a 12"...both will be 4 - 4-1/2" tall.

I really appreciate this everyone!!!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:11am
post #7 of 9

Designer Stencils - Blue Wedding Cake http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CAKES

Red and Cream Wedding Cake - I hand cut out the stencil to try out on a dummy cake. Liked it so much, tried it on a real wedding cake.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:45am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercream_warrior

i used a gift card to spread the stencil

thumbs_up.gif one of my favorite cake tools is an old library card!

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoratingfool

Thank you all so much! I am so relieved to read this. I am feeling much better about this now. I am having a hard time finding a stencil though, does anyone have any good sites for finding a stencil that won't be HUGE for a cake. The cake sizes that it will be used on is a 6" and a 12"...both will be 4 - 4-1/2" tall.

I really appreciate this everyone!!!

i ordered my damask..but alot of my stencils ive bought from hobby lobby...lol..i used to use a spatula but found out my gift card worked better..lol..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%