Help With Mix--Question Please

Baking By Zamode Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 4:36am by tryingcake

Zamode Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 11

I am making a double layer 11x15 of white cake and doing the extended mix. I usually do scratch cakes, will I have enough if I just have two boxes? One batch doesn't look like it will fill the pan enough but I have not put it in yet. I was wondering if I can do a third mix of extended yellow and mix half of it with each of the white batches. The white has a slight yellow color from the eggs, could I blame the color on eggs? icon_biggrin.gif TIA!

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:46am
post #2 of 11

Wilton says you need 22 cups of batter. You get 15-16 cups of batter out of two cake mixes that are extended so three boxes should be about perfect.

I googled Zaxapoaphobia and I couldn't find anything on it.

Zamode Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:20am
post #3 of 11

Thank you K8--what about the yellow mix, do you think it will fly mixed in with the white?

Zaxapoaphobia: scroll down to bonniebakes' post. . .#13, of all numbers icon_lol.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35335&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=zaxapoaphobia&&start=45

tryingcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:24am
post #4 of 11

My white cakes always have an ivory tint because I use whole eggs. - I would think if 1 is mixed with two whites, it won't be "that" bad. Yes, blame it on the fact that you use REAL EGGS and BUTTER (which I do)... that always works for me. (wink)

Now I am thinking about the fact that yellow cake seems to be a bit softer than white. It may affect the density of the cake. But I'm just wild enough to go for it.

Zamode Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:27am
post #5 of 11

Thank you tryingcake, you inspired me to go for it, lol. The texture is a bit odd, hmm, lol, I will havet to cut a wee piece to test it, otherwise it looks good. I put some of the Wilton white-white stuff for the icing, worked well, haha!

Brendabeeper Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:09am
post #6 of 11

just have to ask. what is extended mix?

Chasey Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendabeeper

just have to ask. what is extended mix?

You add ingredients to a box mix to achieve one and 1/2 mixes. icon_smile.gif

Here is a wilton thread with several extender recipes:

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=133320&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

Thank you K8--what about the yellow mix, do you think it will fly mixed in with the white?

Zaxapoaphobia: scroll down to bonniebakes' post. . .#13, of all numbers icon_lol.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35335&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=zaxapoaphobia&&start=45

Good One!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You need to notify Mirriam Webster, Wikipedia and etc.-- icon_biggrin.gif

tryingcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 11

I love that white-white. I even used it in Spackle one time. I was moving from an apartment and was spakling those tiny holes from hanging pics. In one room the spackling was a shade darker. I added the white-white and it was perfect. I was still living there three weeks later and it was still perfect. I don't know if it lasted forever or not, but it lasted those three weeks.

Funny, huh?

Zamode Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:38am
post #10 of 11

Maybe white-white is the MacGuyver of the baking world!

The cupcakes are good! They look a bit odd and are very spongey but not in a chewy or dry way, they're still sweet and moist! Might have a new concoction! thumbs_up.gif

tryingcake Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:36am
post #11 of 11

Good for you! Sometimes it pays to be brave.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%