Black & White Flag Pattern - Lightning Mcqueen Cake

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 12:19am by t4beatles

t4beatles Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 9

Hello all!

I am going to do a Lightning McQueen cake for my nephew on the 9th.

Here is my question - What are your suggestions to do a black & white checked pattern without using fondant?

I was thinking of edible printed sheets but would need a reference where to get it. I'm not finding this sort of image.

I thought of modeling chocolate but never worked with it before and wondered if it would taste bad after adding the blackn coloring.

Your thoughts?

8 replies
pinkpiggie78 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 9

Why don't you want to use fondant?

t4beatles Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 9

I'm still very new to cakes and have only used the store bought fondant... and I don't think it tastes very good.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:44am
post #4 of 9

I think the easiest thing to do is ice the cake in buttercream and place black fondant squares on the buttercrem. They can always be picked off. As for bad tasting fondant there are plenty of "store bought" brands... michaels's sells Duff fondant which is a version of Fondarific (and that tastes great).

If you are really anti-fondant, you could use a square cookie cutter and make impressions in the BC. Then hand pipe BC in each of the squares. Or you could do FBCTs on little squares of wax paper and place those on the cake. You could also make a stencil and smear the buttercream over that to make the squares.

An edible image would be the easiest option. If you can find a store that sells Lucks stuff, they have them already done for you.

BlueMoon73 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 9

Fondant is really easy to make!! Don't be afraid to try it, I was but now I only use homemade! Tastes great! For black I would use Duff's from Michael's it does taste good. Black is way to hard to make on your own.

tryingcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:30am
post #6 of 9

I made a Lightning McQueen Cake about 5 years ago and a Nascar cake about 7 years ago when I was first getting serious about cakes. For Lightning McQueen I used edible images (I have an EI printer, so that's easy). For the Nascar cake, I piped buttercream as suggested above.

Coral3 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:19am
post #7 of 9

Don't suppose there would be chocolate transfer sheets around anywhere in a black & white checked pattern? Just a thought.

cabecakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:10am
post #8 of 9

You could always try marshmallow fondant. It is super easy. All it is is melted marshmallows, with flavoring and powdered sugar. I'd start with chocolate marshmallow fondant and add black color to that. It takes less coloring if you start with chocolate. All you have to do is take 10 oz. of marshmallows and 4 tablespoons of water. Coat your marshmallows with the water. Put in microwave for 2 minutes (stopping occasionally to stir). Once marshmallows are COMPLETELY melted (no lumps) remove from microwave and add about 1/2 to 3/4 cups cocoa. Stir into marshmallows. You may need to pop back in the microwave if it cools off your marshmallows too much, but just for a few seconds. Remove from microwave and add black icing color. Stir in powdered sugar until it forms a "playdoh" like consistency. Rub a LITTLE shortening on the dough ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Let it "cure" overnight. The next day when you go to use if it is to hard to work with just pop in microwave for about 20 seconds, but be careful it isn't too hot. IT WILL BURN YOU, if you get it to hot. Don't ask me how I know this icon_sad.gif. Knead until pliable. Roll out on a smooth surface rubbed with shortening. Cut out the squares for your flag. Easier then in sounds, especially after you do it a couple times. I just want to add that it tastes like tootsie rolls and, if you think it is too soft just add a little powdered sugar. If you think it is too hard...add a little shortening.

t4beatles Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 12:19am
post #9 of 9

Ok, you guys have convinced me to try the homemade MMF - will try over the weekend. If it doesn't turn out I'll go get the Duff pre-colored.

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%