Homemade Mmf

Lounge By graciesj Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 2:50am by cakesrock

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 11

I've made mmf before and I ran into the same problem that I'm having today. It's really softicon_sad.gif about 2pnds of fluff & 6-8 cups of ps) I'm letting in sit out wrapped up nicely of course. So should I need in more ps tomorrow or wait until thursday to do it. Should I leave it alone to let it set or work on it a bit? thank-you gracie

10 replies
Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 11

how long has it been since you made. MMF usually has to sit a while when you first make it because its too warm and it will be too pliable.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 11

I'm making some as we speak... well, my mixer is (wink)...

My recipe calls for:

* 1/4 cup butter (I'm using Crisco today because it's for a dummy cake)
* 1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
* 4 tablespoons water
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided

It comes out perfect every time. It looks like you are using twice the amount of marshmallows to my recipe for about the same amount of PS. So, I would imagine it would be softer.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:09am
post #4 of 11

This is how I make my mmf and I have never had a problem (well once when I accidently grabbed a 16 oz. bag of marshmallows instead of 10 oz bag), I pour my marshmallows in a greased glass microwave safe bowl and coat them with about 4 tablespoons of water. Microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the marshmallows are completely melted. Add a teaspoon of desired flavor or oils. In another bowl, I pour about 1/2 a bag of powdered sugar and make a well in the center. Pour the melted marshmallows into the well. With a spoon, pull the powdered sugar into the marshmallow mixture. Working from the outside of the bowl into the well. You may need to use more PS. Keep doing this until the marshmallows form a "dough". Slowly add more powdered sugar until you can pick it up without it sticking to your hands. Knead in more powdered sugar until it forms sort of a "playdoh" consistency. Rub the outside of the fondant with a SMALL amount of shortening and wrap in Saran Wrap or Press and Seal Wrap. Put this in a gallon size freezer bag. Leave this set out on counter overnight before trying to use. It doesn't have to be refrigerated. Or you can make ahead and freeze. I have done this in the past without issue. Just let it thaw to room temperature...if hard just nuke it for a few seconds (15 seconds at a time until pliable enough to knead)...but watch not to long (IT WILL BURN YOU). Anytime my mmf seems to soft, I just knead in a little more PS. If it seems too dry, I work in a little shortening. Hope this helps.

graciesj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 11

thank-you ladies. I use marshmallow fluff out of the jar(cream) not real marshmallows. I just made it this afternoon and need to use it on thursday to complete my cake for friday. so I do have a few days to allow it to sit. I don't warm up the fluff so it's not warm at all, that's not the issue. If you look at the thomas the train cake i made you can see how I DON'T want to run into that same problem again. My mixer does the hard work for me tooicon_smile.gif So any new ideas????????

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:48am
post #6 of 11

Rhonda's ultimate MMF (in recipes) is the best no fail MMF recipe!

graciesj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:50am
post #7 of 11

thank-you CR

graciesj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:55am
post #8 of 11

[quote="graciesj"]thank-you CR[/quote]
okayI went to recipes and cannot find Rhondas recipe. can you help me here

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:57am
post #9 of 11

I have used fluff before - it should be about the same ratio as using real marshmallows - a pound is pound.. know what I mean?

graciesj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:00am
post #10 of 11

yep I knowicon_smile.gif I love the taste of the jaricon_smile.gif I'll wait until tomorrow and see how it's turning out. I'll keep you postedicon_smile.gif thx a billionicon_smile.gif))))

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:50am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesj

thank-you CR

okayI went to recipes and cannot find Rhondas recipe. can you help me here

Here you go:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

Quote by @%username% on %date%