Is The Mat Worth It??

Decorating By simplysouthern Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 5:02am by simplysouthern

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 33

So I am thinking of buying The Mat that is made by Sweetwise Inc. I've watched the YouTube more than a dz times and it looks fairly simple. I hate using cornstarch..I know most of you love and swear by it so I won't even go into my cornstarch rant.......

Anyway.....has anyone tried the Mat and do you find it easy to work with and worth spending $ on??? I have the Wilton mat and really enjoy that but thinking The Sweetwise Mat seems better?!?!

TY

32 replies
NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 33

Love mine - definitely worth the money. I don't know what the Wilton mat equivalent would be because this is two mats and you roll the fondant between. I don't use any sugar or cornstarch which is helpful because I'm in the mountains where things tend to dry out quickly (read- elephant skin) anyway. It is also really great at transferring the fondant to cakes easily -- especially for large cakes. I originally thought I'd only use it for my bigger cakes, but now I just use it for all of them because it's easier. It does take a few uses to break it in though.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 33

It is easily one of the best purchases I have made. Love it!

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 33

i bought one and it really wasn't worth it. But who knows... maybe i was using it wrong or my house was too humid icon_sad.gif I tried to use it multiple times and i just couldn't get the hang of it. But i do still like to use it when i decorate. I lay it under my area so I have less clean up thumbs_up.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 33

I will say this...if you purchase "the mat", when you put on your shortening, use very little. If you use too much, you fondant will stick to it and won't roll out well. Your best bet is to apply the shortening and then wipe it off with a paper towel. I think you will love it once you learn how to use it. Also, I stop occasionally and lift the fondant to make sure it isn't sticking. Fantastic for transferring fondant to your cake...no rips or tears. You can also roll it thinner, so you use less fondant.

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:10am
post #6 of 33

how do you keep the mat from rippling?

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:11am
post #7 of 33

I love mine icon_smile.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:13am
post #8 of 33

I haven't tried the mat, but recently tried the freezer paper trick & "wow"....so simple, no greasing required, smooth results with the paper peeling off beautifully. I definitely recommend this trick. Costs just pennies and well worth it.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:19am
post #9 of 33

Whats the freezer paper trick?

lilscakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:31am
post #10 of 33

sorry.....I was assuming it was common knowledge. Basically, you just roll out your fondant on the shiny side of the freezer paper. It won't stick but will allow you to roll it out as thinly as you want it. You then use the paper to transfer the fondant to the cake & "voila"! As I stated, I just started using that technique and it's wonderful! Cheap and very very effective. HTH

simplysouthern Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:42am
post #11 of 33

THANKS for the Mat feedback!!! I'm def gonna order it tonight LOL

@ Creativebakes - I obviously don't have my mat to give advice yet but when you watch the YouTube video the mat never ripples. It's made of a durable material that seems to stay put pretty well. Check out the video icon_smile.gif

I've not heard of the freezer method either, sound good but doesn't the paper wrinkle and leave marks in the fondant??

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:46am
post #12 of 33

That sounds like that could happen, when I use parchment to roll cookies, that happens if not careful. But certainly worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:52am
post #13 of 33

I am waiting for mine, should be here this week icon_smile.gif

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:56am
post #14 of 33

i never thought about the whole freezer paper thing...hmmm...ill have to try it but i still am pretty sure im gonna order the mat...

simplysouthern Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:58am
post #15 of 33

Neelycharmed.....be sure to let us know how you like it!!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:03am
post #16 of 33

I will icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
If it works as good as it does in the video, I will be super happy!! icon_smile.gif
Jodi

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:25am
post #17 of 33

I was in Nashville and bought The Mat at Sweetwise for my daughter for Christmas. We tried it out on Christmas afternoon and she loved it! It is a real time saver. We rubbed it with shortening and then wiped it off with a paper towel and it worked great.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:04am
post #18 of 33

I haven't bought the mat but, have taken some classes with Nick Lodge and he advises this; 1) If you are rolling the fondant and need it to cover a large area wipe a mat (Wilton or otherwise)with some shortening. Don't cake it on and you really should not see it all white on your mat, it should be shiny only. 2) If you are rolling out for a small area use corn starch and roll on it. I follow his suggestions and never have a problem. I also pick the fondant up by pulling the mat, side nearest to me, toward me and then pick it up in the air and use this to guide it onto the cake I plan to cover. I then peel off an edge and the rest of it falls off the mat. I use Wilton mats whether it is the cake dividing one or the roll and cut on.
Hope this helps you and congratulations on getting "The Mat". thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:15am
post #19 of 33

I got my Mat for Christmas and can't wait to use it. The video is very convincing.

simplysouthern Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:16am
post #20 of 33

Evelyn those are super helpful tips, thank you tons!!

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:56pm
post #21 of 33

LOVE MINE!!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:20pm
post #22 of 33

I bought a piece of that vinyl/plastic from the material store. I don't put another piece on top. I just roll without using any additional corn starch or shortening. I won't roll out fondant without it. At my bakery job, we have a sheeter, so we slide the plastic through the sheeter with the fondant on it. THAT will spoil you real quick!

TheCakeLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeLab Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:26pm
post #23 of 33

i'm very new to fondant and i love mine! it worked great for covering my daughter's birthday cake

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:46pm
post #24 of 33

I'm still trying to get used to my Mat. There's definitely a learning curve. I have trouble knowing when the fondant is too thin because it looks thicker between the mat pieces than it actually is. Just need more practice icon_smile.gif

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:16pm
post #25 of 33

I got mine for Christmas too. I can't wait to try it. If any of you are ever in the Nville area, the people at Sweetwise are super nice and helpful.

Christy

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:08am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

Evelyn those are super helpful tips, thank you tons!!

You are so welcome thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:23am
post #27 of 33

I love my mat!!
And cake grandma, I love your name. My 4 yr old grandson calls me grandmacakes!!!

lilscakes Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:47am
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

THANKS for the Mat feedback!!! I'm def gonna order it tonight LOL

@ Creativebakes - I obviously don't have my mat to give advice yet but when you watch the YouTube video the mat never ripples. It's made of a durable material that seems to stay put pretty well. Check out the video icon_smile.gif

I've not heard of the freezer method either, sound good but doesn't the paper wrinkle and leave marks in the fondant??

It doesn't wrinkle or crease if you tape it down before using it. I use standard masking tape and it works like a charm. I just finished doing a very large cake today and used the freezer paper trick; end result was flawless....freezer paper is way cheaper I'm sure....& it can be re-used several times if you wipe it down and store it properly. I'm a freezer paper convert icon_biggrin.gif

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:00am
post #29 of 33

I absolutely love mine. The best $15 I have spent in a long time.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:46am
post #30 of 33

After shipping I spent $25.

It works as well as you know how to get stuff done.

I love it.

Not on the list to purchase for friends and family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%