Top Of Cake Hard....

Lounge By ThePurpleButterfly Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 3:29am by Loucinda

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 6

What can I do about keeping a chocolate mud cake from getting crisp/hard on top?? The middle is perfect. I bake at 325*.

5 replies
pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

Some people put a circle of baking paper or aluminium foil over the top, but I do think that it is the nature of mudcake to harden up on top.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 6

I have never made it before, but I would assume you could put a "tent" of aluminum foil over it while it's baking. Also, this I'm not sure about but it does work with bread, lightly brushing with melted butter while still warm. I do this to my bread as soon as it comes out of the oven and it keeps the crust soft. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:09am
post #4 of 6

I have a convection oven, and to keep the cakes from having a hard skin on them I have a pan of water that I keep full setting on the floor of my oven.

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have a convection oven, and to keep the cakes from having a hard skin on them I have a pan of water that I keep full setting on the floor of my oven.

Hhhmmmm.... I wonder if this would work.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 6

One thing for sure, it is a really easy fix if it works for you!

Indydebi is the one who told me to do it when I first got my convection oven. It works perfectly for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%