sleeman789 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of

Hello Everyone!!!
I will be making a New Years Cake and when you think of New Years, who doesn't think of sparkles and glitter?!?! icon_biggrin.gif

I was wondering how to get the edible glitter to stick to Fondant... do I use water? or should I use edible glue???

Thanks in Advance!

18 replies
alival Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #2 of

I would use vodka oue clear vanilla extract with alcohol to dry way quicker than water. Water would leave your cake a sticky mess

sleeman789 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:53pm
post #3 of

I hadn't thought of Vanilla Extract... hmmm. I might have to try it. I am just going to be glittering up a bunch of flowers, not the whole cake... Thank you very much Alival!

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of

Edible glitter is dried gum arabic--water soluble--but vodka, gin, or Everclear might work OK.

Disco dust isn't edible because it's plastic, but it can be put on decos that'll be removed. A bit of piping gel or corn syrup will help it adhere nicely.

For a nice big edible sparkle, you could use sanding sugar. It will adhere with water, piping gel, or corn syrup.

Rae

sleeman789 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:23pm
post #5 of

Wow, thanks BlakesCakes for all the info..
That was very helpful! =]

sadsmama Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:21pm
post #6 of

I was wanting to add sparkles or just a sparkly sheen to a little girls bday cake later this month and I have a few addt'l questions about this. Is it possible to just dry paint on the dust or does it have to be mixed with vodka/gin/etc to stick? And when exactly do you do this? After you have rolled out the fondant prior to putting it on the cake or once the fondants on the cake? And if you do it once it's on, how do you get it look uniform? I'm not really wanting to cover the color of the fondant (light pink) but just add a glimmer or sheen.
I know that was a lot of questions and thanks in advance for any help I can get.

jillyscakes Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 9:07am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmama

I was wanting to add sparkles or just a sparkly sheen to a little girls bday cake later this month and I have a few addt'l questions about this. Is it possible to just dry paint on the dust or does it have to be mixed with vodka/gin/etc to stick? And when exactly do you do this? After you have rolled out the fondant prior to putting it on the cake or once the fondants on the cake? And if you do it once it's on, how do you get it look uniform? I'm not really wanting to cover the color of the fondant (light pink) but just add a glimmer or sheen.
I know that was a lot of questions and thanks in advance for any help I can get.



You can put lustre dust on dry without painting but for the effect that you want I would use PME pearl spray it would give you an even pearly sheen. Whatever you use always put on once the fondant is on the cake. icon_smile.gif

sadsmama Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 6:07pm
post #8 of

Thanks for the info. I've done a few cakes and haven't tried this technique yet. I'll get some of that and practice with it. I just knew the smart people here could help me out. icon_biggrin.gif

ccc407 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 6:27pm
post #9 of

Wow! Glad I read this thread...did not realize that Disco Dust was not edible. Bought three pretty colors and have not had the opportunity to use them yet. Thanks for the valuable info, BlakesCakes.

cakedoff Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:30am

site has hiccups...

cakedoff Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:31am

This really bothers me! Disco Dust? The jar says it is edible and I used it on white chocolate snowflakes used to decorate cupcakes...did I poison everyone??!! icon_cry.gif

jillyscakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:16am
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedoff

This really bothers me! Disco Dust? The jar says it is edible and I used it on white chocolate snowflakes used to decorate cupcakes...did I poison everyone??!! icon_cry.gif



No you did not poison everyone, Because it does not dissolve in water it is classsed as non edible however if consumed it is not digested just passes straight through you. In a few smal cases there have been allergic reaction but that can happen with any food. If you want a edible decoration magic sparkles are totally safe. icon_smile.gif

cakedoff Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 7:15pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedoff

This really bothers me! Disco Dust? The jar says it is edible and I used it on white chocolate snowflakes used to decorate cupcakes...did I poison everyone??!! icon_cry.gif


No you did not poison everyone, Because it does not dissolve in water it is classsed as non edible however if consumed it is not digested just passes straight through you. In a few smal cases there have been allergic reaction but that can happen with any food. If you want a edible decoration magic sparkles are totally safe. icon_smile.gif





Never heard of "magic sparkles"...who makes them?

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 7:34pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedoff

This really bothers me! Disco Dust? The jar says it is edible and I used it on white chocolate snowflakes used to decorate cupcakes...did I poison everyone??!! icon_cry.gif


No you did not poison everyone, Because it does not dissolve in water it is classsed as non edible however if consumed it is not digested just passes straight through you. In a few smal cases there have been allergic reaction but that can happen with any food. If you want a edible decoration magic sparkles are totally safe. icon_smile.gif




Never heard of "magic sparkles"...who makes them?




Never heard of a jar of disco dust saying "edible"--what brand are they? If it says "EDABLE", then they're not "edible"--Edable is a company name.

No, you didn't poison anyone. A bit of plastic isn't a killer, but when you have a choice, probably not the best option, that's all.

Magic Sparkles are very similar to the edible glitter I mentioned. I've used them and they're lovely, but I have a hard time finding them and they're pricey compared to the edible glitter by Wilton and others. They're starch based.

http://magicsparkles.com/

One US based supplier is Pisky Pixie in the Boston area: http://piskypixie.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=106&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=244

Rae

ccc407 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:15pm

The Disco Dust that I purchased is a CK product. Y'all are right; it does not say "edible"; however, it does state "non-toxic". Also, I just browsed the Ck web site and their description of disco dust is, and I quote: "DISCO DUST
An extra fine glitter with lots of sparkle. 5 grams. Developed for the cake decorating and craft industry, Disco dusts contain only ingredients that are NON-TOXIC
These dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such". It's a bit ambiguous saying "...for the cake decorating..." and followed by "...dusts are not a food product...", etc. Makes you wonder just what you are buying and why...my purchase was from a cake decorators' supply store.

AnotherCaker Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:18pm

This is what I get, and it's a hell of a lot more product than a piddly disco dust sized pot you find most places. http://www.pastrychef.com/RAINBOW-SPARKLES_p_1550.html

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:36pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc407

The Disco Dust that I purchased is a CK product. Y'all are right; it does not say "edible"; however, it does state "non-toxic". Also, I just browsed the Ck web site and their description of disco dust is, and I quote: "DISCO DUST
An extra fine glitter with lots of sparkle. 5 grams. Developed for the cake decorating and craft industry, Disco dusts contain only ingredients that are NON-TOXIC
These dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such". It's a bit ambiguous saying "...for the cake decorating..." and followed by "...dusts are not a food product...", etc. Makes you wonder just what you are buying and why...my purchase was from a cake decorators' supply store.




Yep, edible items are, by nature, non-toxic, BUT, non-toxic items are not necessarily edible......

I don't know who decided that it's OK to put fine particle, PLASTIC craft glitter--disco dust--on food just because it's certified non-toxic, but I'd like to sit them down and give them an earful. icon_mad.gif

I could argue the same for crayons, Elmer's glue, most stamping inks, candle waxes, acrylic craft paints, and chalk--none of which do I want to use, or find, in any of my food. icon_cool.gif

I guess I'm just a nut job because I don't want to eat ANY plastic, even if it's "non-toxic". I have no problem with it on decos that will be removed, but I don't want to bite into a cookie, cupcake, or truffle with this stuff on it--sorry.

It is confusing. The cake deco sites sell this stuff in tiny pots for mega $$ and then hide behind "non-toxic", rarely stating that it's not considered edible. I've e-mailed several companies asking that they clarify this on both their websites and their product labeling, but they never respond--go figure.

Jamie posted: "This is what I get, and it's a hell of a lot more product than a piddly disco dust sized pot you find most places. http://www.pastrychef.com/RAIN....._1550.html "

This basically large quantities of Magic Sparkles in the hologram color--completely edible. I have it and I LOVE it. I get it from my local cake deco shop whenever they have it and I grind it finer using a small tea strainer and the handle of an offset spatula.

Rae

BlueMoon73 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm

Wow!! Thank you for this! I just learned a ton!

ccc407 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 3:49am

BlakesCakes, thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate your info as I am sure the others do, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%