Any Tutorials On Internal Support For A 3D (Spongebob) Cake?

Decorating By ERdocmom Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 1:06pm by ERdocmom

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I'm planning on making a large 3D spongebob cake that is standing up for my daughter's upcoming b-day. I have a general idea what needs to be done to make a support system, but looking for any tips/ideas/places where I can find more info. I saw a tutorial posted for a 3D truck and wondering if there are any others on this site that I'm missing?

2 specific Q's:
1. What is the best medium to use for the legs (thick wooden dowels/metal bars/etc)? I need to be able to screw them into the top and bottom wooden supports....

2. What can I use for arms sticking out that will be lightweight, bendable, and easily attached to the cake (to be covered with fondant or modeling chocolate)?

I did a web search without much avail and totally appreciate ANY help you may have!!!! I will try to post the pic from The Crazy Cake Lady......

5 replies
ERdocmom Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 6

I will try attaching the pics again........

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

you can't attach pics in the forums right now (CC bug) can you post them somewhere else online and provide a link? like flickr, or google picassa, etc...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6

i just did a quick google image search and came up with her flickr account pic, and also her blog.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazycakeco/3637486319/

http://crazycakecompany.blogspot.com/2009/06/spongebob-is-stand-up-kinda-guy.html

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 6

Personally I would attach the legs by using a flange and making them out of pvc. I might even consider using pvc for the entire support structure and creating the arms from it too. Very lightweight and you can use different fittings (90s, 45s etc) to create the bends you want.

ERdocmom Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the info.....will be going to the hardware store today!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%