Firing A Customer

Business By AmysCakesNCandies Updated 12 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm by FleurDeCake

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:59am
post #31 of 71

I find this situation really odd...I mean, you have't given her a refund for any of her previous complaints-so why would she assume you would for this one? On the other hand...why would she continue to come back if she doesn't like your product? IMHO she is the type to complain about every thing all the time no matter the outcome.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:50am
post #32 of 71

It takes six months to get a copy of a cashed money order - been there, done that. Check only!!

I've had to fire a customer or two. Luckily not that many. I have two in particular in mind.

I sent a certified letter, with a check and letter explaining (paraphrasing here):

"I am not able to fulfill your order after all. A wedding is nothing to mess with and there are no second chances. I have not been able to produce a cake that you are absolutely excited about and I truly want you to happy with your daughter's wedding cake. I have included a check for a full refund of all monies paid to date toward the wedding cake. Thank you so much for the opportunity. I know you will find a baker to your exact specifications."

The first customer I did not hear a word from. A week later the check was cashed.
The other customer I have in mind actually emailed me thanking me for my integrity (her exact word) and recommended me to someone else. Go figure.

Ebonyswanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ebonyswanne Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:35am
post #33 of 71

It sounds like its time to call her rather than deal with it through emails. You're obviously concerned and I don't blame you for being so after she's complained about all the cakes you have supplied her with so far.

Before you call make sure your calm and objective and won't be disturbed during the call so you can listen. Offer her a full refund of the deposit because you want her to be happy on her wedding day. Then you can suggest other bakers you know of that have good reputations. Don't leave it to long before you call her, the sooner you call the more sincere it will come across.

So people are never happy no matter what you do, others just have impossible standards. Either way you can be free of the client and not lose face or your reputation. If she happens to tell others about it then they will see you did the right thing and gave her the deposit back.

It would be a good idea to put a policy for refunds and things relating to customer satisfaction in place for custom cakes outlining your own expectations. This way its clear from the start. No full refunds after the event...etc, (for people who look for feebies anyway.) You know what I mean.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:01am
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluisa

Sorry, I don't know how to quote someone else. If someone could point that out I would appreciate it.

Click the "quote" button on the top right side of the person's post.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:27am
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregal

I mean, you have't given her a refund for any of her previous complaints-so why would she assume you would for this one?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

HTH icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:14pm
post #36 of 71

Some people have suggested calling her. I would send an email explaining first why you are canceling along with the check so that you have a paper trail. Calling her makes it easy for her to later twist your words. One of those he said she said sort of things. You can always follow up later with a call if you feel it is needed.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:56pm
post #37 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Some people have suggested calling her. I would send an email explaining first why you are canceling along with the check so that you have a paper trail. Calling her makes it easy for her to later twist your words. One of those he said she said sort of things. You can always follow up later with a call if you feel it is needed.

Having grown up with a person like this, believe me this is the best advice! If it's not in writing, then it doesn't count.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:27pm
post #38 of 71

I've added this post to my favorites because, unfortunately, I have worked with people like this. There is some really good advice here!! There will always be someone who will try to get something for nothing and they won't care how or who gets hurt. It's a shame.

I have learnd that having everything in writing is best, like ReneeFLL and indydebi said. This way you have everything on file just in case you are sued. It probably won't go that far, but you never know what lengths some people will go to when money is involved and it's always better to be safe than sorry! I'm not sure who mentioned printing everything, but that is also good - or put it all on a flash drive - and keep a file specifically for her. (Computers can be just as finicky as people!!) Make sure you have notes in her file regarding the previous orders and her "concerns" about them as well - and mention anyone who might have witnessed her complaint. This way you can refere back to them if you do have to go to court. Being sued can take a long time, and you might not remember all the little details by the time you actually get to court! I truly hope it does not come to that, though.

In the future I would change your contract to reflect this situatuion as someone else had mentioned so that if this happens again you are covered.

Good luck!!

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:39pm
post #39 of 71

Hey Manderly42! How do you add a forum topic to your favorites? That is a great idea!
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:44pm
post #40 of 71

Definitely sounds like she is setting up to get a free wedding cake, why else would she keep ordering from you if (according to her) the cakes haven't been either what she ordered or up to her standards? Very obnoxious. if you can get out of it - do!
Maybe, you can suggest other bakeries she can order from? let her try this nonsense elsewhere and you keep your peace of mind.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

It takes six months to get a copy of a cashed money order - been there, done that. Check only!!

I guess my thought process on that was that you get a receipt for the money order with their name as the recipient, and it gets the money out of your possession immediately, whether they cash it or not is their problem. I can understand wanting the proof that the item was cashed though.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you make it clear that you are keeping a copy of the cancelled contract, and well as her complaints in a file for future reference 'should she have any questions' or something like that. I would just want it to be clear to her that you've kept her insanity, and will not let her bully you. You've been absolutely excellent with how you've handled it so far. Not taking blame, offering very short, succint answers, not getting all emotional. Sometimes the worst thing we can do is let our emotions show. Unfortunately the freebie-seekers out there will use it against you at every corner. I can't wait to see how it pans out. I have this belief that she's going to try to talk you out of firing her, simply becasue she keeps coming back. But I could be waaay off!!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:43pm
post #42 of 71

Since the cake is for the daughter's wedding, have you had any direct communication with her? You may want to consider speaking with her about the issues prior to cancelling the contract. My policy is that all wedding cake contracts are exclusively with the bride and will only make exceptions if the groom is handling the cake. I won't deal with MOB's. Maybe talk to the bride about your concerns before canelling her wedding cake. She may have no idea what her mother is doing. If you get nowhere and still have that gut feeling, then go with it and cancel the order. The hardest part of this business is learning when to say no and "firing" clients. I had to fire a client this week, and I still feel a little guilty about it, but it was the right decision. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:24pm
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

Hey Manderly42! How do you add a forum topic to your favorites? That is a great idea!
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

I just added it to my favorites tab on the address bar. When I click the link it brings me right here.

It should also be in "my forum posts" once you've posted in the forum. So you can always find it through there.

HTH!

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:02pm
post #44 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderly42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

I just added it to my favorites tab on the address bar. When I click the link it brings me right here.

It should also be in "my forum posts" once you've posted in the forum. So you can always find it through there.

HTH!

Thanks!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:49pm
post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

Since the cake is for the daughter's wedding, have you had any direct communication with her? You may want to consider speaking with her about the issues prior to cancelling the contract. My policy is that all wedding cake contracts are exclusively with the bride and will only make exceptions if the groom is handling the cake. I won't deal with MOB's. Maybe talk to the bride about your concerns before canelling her wedding cake. She may have no idea what her mother is doing. If you get nowhere and still have that gut feeling, then go with it and cancel the order. The hardest part of this business is learning when to say no and "firing" clients. I had to fire a client this week, and I still feel a little guilty about it, but it was the right decision. Good luck, and keep us updated!

This is true in my area. Even though I am paying for everything and my DD has given me all . . . well, everything to do, the vendors want her signature on all the contracts. It made perfect sense to me. icon_biggrin.gif (Oh - DD isn't lazy - she works full time and is still a full time student!)

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:07pm
post #46 of 71

I just did a wedding cake where I dealt only with the MOB. Bride was out of state at school. It happens!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:35pm
post #47 of 71

Just an FYI here, for those in the US and it's protectorates -

US Postal Money Orders take far less time to trace.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TattooMom25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TattooMom25 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:51pm
post #48 of 71

I second in telling you to talk to the bride. MOB's can be crazy and many brides have no idea. It sounds as if the MOB was ordering other cupcakes for her personal events, possibly outside the bride's knowledge. Seems reasonable she could tell mom to back the heck off. I would hate to leave the bride stranded because of mom

Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm
post #49 of 71

It does seem very reasonable to speak with the bride before completely writing this off... and perhaps that is only fair. I can imagine if she had her heart set on the cake you're going to make then finds out Mommy Dearest sort of screwed her. But I would certainly, if she doesn't know whats going on, get HER to sign a contract relieving her mother of any authority over the cake or it's outcome. That lady is a serious pill. And girl, you'll NEED pills if you deal with her any more. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:27pm
post #50 of 71

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Hubby says mom should be told she jeopardized her daughter's wedding cake because she's a b*tch and no one wants to deal with her sorry a$$ any more! (But then ... he WAS a little crabby this morning!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:06am
post #51 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Hubby says mom should be told she jeopardized her daughter's wedding cake because she's a b*tch and no one wants to deal with her sorry a$$ any more! (But then ... he WAS a little crabby this morning!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_confused.gif Why would you say that sounds crabby? That sounds perfectly reasonable to ME! icon_lol.gif God Bless him, Deb. I think I'll put him on MY payroll. He can handle my undesirables! (Not to be confused with my unmentionables!!) icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #52 of 71

Next time she calls, you're just busy. Simple as that. I'd get rid of her...

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:51am
post #53 of 71

I'd like to fire a customer...and I jsut may in March when she calls to order a cake....

By the way..I'd love to have your recipe for Pink Lemonade cupcakes....icon_smile.gif

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:54am
post #54 of 71

By the way..I'd love to have your recipe for Pink Lemonade cupcakes....

YES!!! ME TOO!! icon_lol.gif
Oh man!! She will miss your Pink Lemonade C. icon_biggrin.gif lol!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:22am
post #55 of 71

Me three! (on the cupcake recipe!)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:08am
post #56 of 71

At the bottom of the screen, click "watch this topic for replies" and it will be saved in your forum posts.

Perhaps you are the last stop for this lady and that's why she keeps ordering from you. Maybe everyone else has already fired her.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:56pm
post #57 of 71

To all who indicated they wanted the recipe:

Pink Lemonade cake/ cupcakes are an "adjusted" yellow cake. So use whatever your standard yellow cake is (it works for scratch or boxes- but the dryer texture of scratch works a little better)

For 6 cup batter recipe:
Make you standard yellow cake recipe
add 1 tsp lemon extract & 1/2 tsp rasp extract to wet ingredients (optional- you can add 1tsp red food color to bump up the pink color if you like)
add 1/4 c sweetened pink lemonade mix to dry ingredients- (I use countrytime, but brand doesnt matter)

after baking & cooling completely mix 1/2 c pink lemonade mix with 1/4 cup of water. poke holes in the layers or cupcakes with a skewer and brush the layers with the concentrated dissolved mix.

I typically pair this cake with lemon curd filling and a mild lemon buttercream.

And as far as the customer- I decided to give her till Tuesday to respond to my initial email since its a holiday week and her email address is a work one, she may be on vacation. But I have decided if i do not hear from her to email her a "firing" letter with a read reciept and then Certified mail mail the same letter with a check a few days later (asuming she hasn't contacted me). The bride is out of town and I have not dealt with her at all, but I have her email and plan to CC her omn the email- will let you know how it goes.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:17pm
post #58 of 71

You have to do what feels right for you, ya know? We can all make suggestions, but it sounds like this is really what you want, and so that's exactly what you should do! Good for you, and let us know how it works out, because we'll be worrying about ya! icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:26pm
post #59 of 71

Thanks for the recipe..Can't wait to try it!!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:55pm
post #60 of 71

Wow!! icon_eek.gif What a situation! I"m not even in business but not sure if I want to ever have to deal with something of this magnitude! Bless your heart! Sounds like you've already made up your mind, and I agree with your decision. Good luck! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%