How Do I Make The Texture Impression Stay On The Fondant!!??

Decorating By darwinchic Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 8:15am by AngelFood4

darwinchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darwinchic Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 9

Hi!
I have been using Satin Ice and Autumn Carpenter texture sheets (the floral 7" x 10" ones) and was hoping to to cut them out and put them on top of cupcakes with buttercream to attach them. I tried to make some but the impression doesn't seem to stay in the fondant and it looks like its melting!
I did them and initally they looked ok.

I put them in the fridge - was this wrong??

It's very humid here where I live (Darwin Australia) so could this be the issue also??

Have I done something wrong with the satin ice prep? Do I need to add gumpaste to the satin ice?
Any help would be GREAT!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 9

My suggestion is to add corn starch to the fondant to give it more body and it dries faster. Do you guys call it corn flour? But gum paste should work too.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 9

fondant generally doesnt like the fridge - that combined with the humidity will amke life more difficult, if it gives you condensation, which may well make it look like its melting - although i think humidity makes fondant harder to work with anyway!
xx

darwinchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darwinchic Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
-K8memphis - yep we call it corn flour, I made a little dusting pouch up with a stocking but will try adding some to the satin ice and see if that helps.

I will try again tommorrow and see how I go....

Cheers!
icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 9

Fingers crossed for yah!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 9

good topic!! I wondered the same! Let us know please!!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 9

I live where there is lots of humidity as well, and yes, it is horrible for fondant and will make it look like it is melting. Do not put it in the fridge, that only makes is worse when you cake it out. Instead, if you have ac, try keeping it around 69-72 degrees Fahrenheit (I do not know the conversion, but I am sure the internet has a chart somewhere!) Also, I was reading on Confetti cake blog she figured how to put fondant in the fridge. She says to put them in a box, wrap the entire box nicely with seran wrap, then, about an hour or two before you are ready to work on them more, or deliver, remove from the fridge and allow to sit, STILL IN THE WRAPPED BOX. The wrap is supposed to collect the condensation rather than it collecting on you cakes and cupcakes. I have not tried this technique, but in theory, I see how it would work! Hope this helps love!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 9

She (Elisa Strauss - Confetti Cakes) is absolutely correct! In Arkansas the humidity is awful!!! I refrigerate all my cakes, and if you box them and let them come to room temp before removing them from the box you are golden! thumbs_up.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:15am
post #9 of 9

I've rolled out the fondant and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to set a little then used the impression mat over it....works fine this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%