Coffee Table Book?

Lounge By shanney54 Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 12:56am by MalibuBakinBarbie

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:42am
post #1 of 11

A few days ago I was swapping presents with my bf's family. His cousin received two really cute coffee table books. One was about the history of shoes and the other was on purses. I really love the books and would consider buying myself both of them, but it's got me thinking. Has anyone come across a nice book on something related to cake, chocolate, baking, etc ??? I've tried looking on the internet, but I haven't really found anything. icon_sad.gif Does this sound like something anyone else would like? Or am I just being crazy?

10 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 11

I think a coffee table book is something that should stir a curiosity in the reader, and possibly stir up conversation in the living room.

My family and friends have no interest in reading or hearing about cakes. They only want to know that the ones I do are interesting and taste good.

I have an extensive library of cake decorating/pastry books, and I doubt any of them would stimulate any conversation, unless I was in a room full of other cake decorators/pastry chefs.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I think a coffee table book is something that should stir a curiosity in the reader, and possibly stir up conversation in the living room.

My family and friends have no interest in reading or hearing about cakes. They only want to know that the ones I do are interesting and taste good.

I have an extensive library of cake decorating/pastry books, and I doubt any of them would stimulate any conversation, unless I was in a room full of other cake decorators/pastry chefs.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Agree 100%
I, too have a huge collection of cake, baking, etc... books. And whenever I have any left out, I am the only one that looks at them. My family, just wants to eat the stuff, and not know how it was made or how many steps it took.
I can never have too many books though... Santa gave me GC for amazon and chapters icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Jodi

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 11

I have put some of my cake books on the coffee table, and the only ones interested in looking at them are my small grandchildren. But they just want to look at the pictures, they aren't really looking to stimulate conversation. lol.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 11

I actually think a coffee table book would be kind of nice that had pictures of cakes in it or something like that. No one ever looks at anything I put on my coffee table, but that may be because we never use the living room!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 11

martha stewarts wedding cakes book gets talked about as a coffee table book (although in the uk i dont know anyone that actually has these 'coffee table' books on the coffee table - its in the book shelf!).
there is one book in my library but kate? someone, cant remember the title, but its lovely to look at!
xx

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 11

Well, I've got the Cake Wrecks book in my living room, and it always gets conversations going! Everyone picks it up, asks what it's about, as they're opening it. Doesn't take but a page or two and they are hooked....and laughing.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 11

Well, I've got the Cake Wrecks book in my living room, and it always gets conversations going! Everyone picks it up, asks what it's about, as they're opening it. Doesn't take but a page or two and they are hooked.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 11

I love coffee table books!

I can only think as brincess_b said, of the Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes. The only other one I've come across is InStyle: Weddings (by Instyle Magazine). I like modern art books or interior design books, since they're very colorful and I can look at them forever, and maybe other people would too. One of my favorites is Lulu (by Lulu De Kwiatkowski).

And, I wish I could get my hands on that Ikea baking book that's not available in the US:

http://demo.fb.se/e/ikea/homemade_is_best/

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:59am
post #10 of 11

I've found books that would make a good savory coffee table book, but no pastry. Kinda. I found the Ikea one this morning, but I have no clue what they are talking about. The pictures look awesome though.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 12:56am
post #11 of 11

I have often put cake books out on the coffee/end table. The ones that I have noticed got the MOST attention from guests are Sylvia Weinstock's and Martha Stewart's. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%