Beginner Questions And Good Buy???

Decorating By JLDCakester Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 2:02am by tokazodo

JLDCakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLDCakester Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 24

So I just purchased this mini 3 tiered cake pan....

'Fat Daddio's 6-Cup Individual 3 Tier Cake Pan '

Anyone have any experience with something similar or the same pan?

Also my main question is ....what would be the easiest was to use fondant to decorate these. I've got to make about 100 for my wedding in June! Eeeek!
I swear I'm not crazy! Also do you think there is any way to inject them with filling??

23 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 24

How many of them did you purchase? You don't want to have to bake 1 at a time, that would take sooooo long. I made a few individual mini cakes 3 in round by about 3 in high. It took me a long time to cover 12 of them in fondant. I am sure that you could inject it but using a tip that is used for filling pastries.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 24

I haven't personally used the mini 3-tiered pan, so I really can't offer much advice in the way of how to cover w/ fondant.

But I did have a thought about filling. Depending on how thick your filling is, you could "core" the individual cakes like you'd fill a cupcake.

Core from the bottom for thick filling that won't flow out from under the cake. Or core from the top if the filling is a bit more runny? Replace the bit of the topside core to seal, then you can cover it with fondant.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you (And congratulations on your upcoming wedding, too!)

~ Scott

JLDCakester Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 24

I only purchased one pan! It has 6 mini cakes in the pan. I have plenty of time.... I'm just trying to keep costs low.... so I considered purchasing additional pans but... it defeats the purpose. I may as well pay someone to do it!

(How far in advance from my wedding do you think I could make the cakes and freeze them?)

Someone suggested I use sugar cookie Icing to cover the mini cakes...instead of fondant? I am really iffy about this idea....but I am a beginner so what do I know...

Thanks on the filling idea! I love it!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDCakester

... I may as well pay someone to do it! ...

But you really should.

I don't know--you are adding to your stress level tremendously--this is a ton and a half of last minute work to do on arguably the busiest most stressful week of your life.

Pros are often heard screaming
"Stick a fork in me I'm done"
when they get projects like that and get paid handsomely for it.

The easiest way is to rely on a professional to supply your need.
Or edit this down and just make one tier cake instead of one hundred.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 24

Why don't you set a goal to make dozen or two as soon as you can and see how that goes. Then you'll have a better idea of what you're planning on doing to yourself.

Do you have anyone to rely on to help you?

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 24

You could cover them with ganache, that way you pour it on. I made my own wedding cake two days before my wedding (I don't freeze cakes). I agree with the above poster, it's stressful. You may want to scrap the individual cake idea and just make one large wedding cake. You could use always make an individual cake for each of the bridesmaids, etc...

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:

I only purchased one pan! It has 6 mini cakes in the pan. I have plenty of time.... I'm just trying to keep costs low.... so I considered purchasing additional pans but... it defeats the purpose. I may as well pay someone to do it!

(How far in advance from my wedding do you think I could make the cakes and freeze them?)

Six at a time is a whole lot better than one but your wedding day is going to be stressful!

I am not a fast decorator actually I am slow but I do cakes regularly and it took me about 1.5 hours to cover 12 mini cakes. That wasn't the time it took to cover them in icing first. So are you really going to take all of that time the days before your wedding to do the cakes. After I did mine I see why they are waaaaay more expensive than a whole cake. While I did mine as gifts they for a customer would have to pay for them icon_smile.gif

I am not trying to discourage you from doing a diy wedding. Do you think it would be more feasible to do a cookie covered in fondant as favors?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 24

JLDCakester--Welcome to CC and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Sounds like you are trying to save some money and still give your wedding guests some lovely, individual cakes. I'm with K8Memphis and the others, save yourself now. You didn't say what your experience level is with decorating, but since you are asking fairly basic questions I'm guessing this project might make you nuts.

If you have ever watched any of the popular cake shows on TV; all of those experienced decorators say that mini cakes are the most difficult and take the most time. The pan you purchased would be a horror to decorate.

You may be much better served by asking these darling, professional baker, CC folks what is the least expensive way to serve your guests wedding cake that you and the groom would be proud to present. (Forget about any advice in wedding books or blogs or columns, they are in la-la-land when it comes to cake...)

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 24

I would hate to see you regret putting this much work and stress on you. If you really want to try it, make a pan full, time yourself and see how quickly you can decorate those, the way you want them to look, and then try to remember some of the million things you'll be doing in the days before your wedding and see if it's really feasible.

If you really want to make your own cake, you could make a dummy cake and then have sheet cakes in the back for serving. You could make it at your own pace and have it exactly the way you want it. I think even sheet cakes would put a stress on you, but that would certainly be quicker and easier on you. Or, maybe you budget will fit for a bakery to make those.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 24

It iwll be rather easy to fill them. Several ideas have already been offered. I just use a tip 3 or 4; fill pastry bag with a *smooth* filling; stick into cake, squeeze, release and remove tip. Have done it many times.
As for when to start? NOWicon_smile.gif You can bake ahead - all your cakes. When cool enough to handle, wrap in a couple of layers of plastic wrap and freeze. Make sure when they 1st go in the fzr that they are one layer, and flat. Once fzn, put them into a plastic bag all together. When you are ready to work on them = several days before wedding - again make sure you defrost them in a flat single layer. This will prevent distortion of the cakes.
Sugar cookie icing for covering the cakes? Don't think that's a good idea.
It will take a lot of time to cover 100!! mini cakes. Much longer than if you did a 4 tier large wedding cake.
If I understand the pan right, there are 6 'wells' that make one mini 3 tier cake in each well, right?
Measure the heigth of each finished baked cake, multiply x 2, then add the # of inches of the largest part. Example: 3" tall x 2 plus 3" across the lgst base. So you now need to roll out a piece of fondant to a 10" circle (3x2+3 and an extra 1" for wiggle room); lay it on the cake; smooth out the sides, trim bottom edge. Do that 100 times!

As k8 said, it is NOT going to be easy. It WILL take a LOT of time. You can only cover in fondant and decorate them at most 2-3 days before the wedding. decorations used on them (tiny cut outs; flowers etc) can be made ahead as can the cakes themselves.

JLDCakester Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:03am
post #12 of 24

Thank you everyone for your valid points and input. I already have a 6 tiered caked being made for my wedding (by a pro)... very costly thats FOR SURE... I just was really wanting to give the individual cakes as favors also but wasn't willing to fork over the price ( that sounds terrible) but weddings are really so expensive!

I think everyone has convinced me to forget the idea... maybe it really is a bad idea... larger cakes for me are easy...especially with fondant ... i was hoping the little ones would be just as easy...but your right I have heard that the mini cakes are the most difficult....

UGH! Any other ideas of what I could stuff my little 4x4 favor boxes with! ; )

cownsj Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:09am
post #13 of 24

I just googled "edible wedding favors". There are lots of ideas. Here is a link with a bunch of them... http://www.beau-coup.com/teaandsweets.htm

Edited to add that they even have a mini 2 tier cake.

cownsj Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:14am
post #14 of 24

Do you have a budget in mind?

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:00am
post #15 of 24

Congrats on your wedding! I'm a huge fab of DIY weddings but this project sounds like a lot more work than you need to put ongoing yourself. If you're set on having something handmade for guests, why not do a wedding cake cookie. You can turn out a hundred a lot faster than the mini cakes!?!? Good luck!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:01am
post #16 of 24

Congrats on your wedding! I'm a huge fab of DIY weddings but this project sounds like a lot more work than you need to put ongoing yourself. If you're set on having something handmade for guests, why not do a wedding cake cookie. You can turn out a hundred a lot faster than the mini cakes!?!? Good luck!

MartiW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartiW Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:51pm
post #17 of 24

Last May I did my daughter's wedding cake. I can not image doing 100 mini cakes! The stress would kill me. If your heart is set on doing something handmade do the cookies suggested above. Good luck and Congratulation.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:42pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

I just was really wanting to give the individual cakes as favors also but wasn't willing to fork over the price ( that sounds terrible) but weddings are really so expensive!

Try cupcakes. make your favorite recipe and freeze them. a few weeks later make the topper. all you would have to do is swirl the frosting on top and put the topper on the cupcakes. here is an example of cupcake toppers that can be made in advance, let them harden and then just put on cupcakes
http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2010/05/princess-cupcakes-with-fondant-toppers.html

You want your wedding memory to be happy and all about you not how stressed you are because you worked all night trying to make the minis
good luck

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 7:34pm
post #19 of 24

I'm SOOO glad you saw the light on the mini cakes. I did some DIY stuff for my wedding and let me tell you, the easiest thing always turns out to be a nightmare. Like the menus I was going to just pop in my printer and it would be a cute little detail? Yeah jammed the damn printer, practically broke it, and I ended up making about 4 trips to a printing company. I was picturing you in a puddle of tears 2 days before your wedding and it wasn't pretty!!!

If you really want to bake something I would go with cookies. They're much faster, less fussy, and cheaper. The fondant on 100 mini cakes would be very expensive. Of the edible favors I received, my favorite was mixed Hershey's chocolate minatures and kisses. If you wanted to 'upgrade' the chocolate you could throw a few truffles in there too. Good luck on your wedding! I recommend an extra day at the spa a few days in advance. It's well worth it!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:09pm
post #20 of 24

Why don't you make round sugar cookies(sanwiched with icing) with 3 graduated sizes so when stacked, it looks like a mini wedding cake???
I made those for 1 of the favors for my wedding and it was a big hit icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
and it really didn't take that long. And all you have to do it put a little sugar flower on top for decoration(that is if you want to)
Good Luck, and let us know on what you decide! icon_smile.gif
Jodi

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:26pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelycharmed

Why don't you make round sugar cookies(sanwiched with icing) with 3 graduated sizes so when stacked, it looks like a mini wedding cake???
I made those for 1 of the favors for my wedding and it was a big hit icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
and it really didn't take that long. And all you have to do it put a little sugar flower on top for decoration(that is if you want to)
Good Luck, and let us know on what you decide! icon_smile.gif
Jodi

i was going to suggest that too!! ive seen those at a wedding and it was sooo elegant and pretty and looks easy to do.!i have the cake pan your talking about and i had to make 12 for a tea party and omg it was stressfull for me..lol..i ended up just dusting them with powdered sugar and put a fondant tea cup on top..lol..never trying to frost those again..lol..maybe i shouldnt say never. icon_razz.gif i never know what might inspire me next! icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:56pm
post #22 of 24

You could leave the minicakes naked and just decorate the top with a pretty brush of color (royal icing) and a flower. That way you can make them ahead of time. Even the flowers you can make ahead of time.

Something like this:
http://www.merryantoinette.com/2009/02/wedding-cake-cookies.html

But with cake.

You could also tint one third of the batter in a pretty pastel and use that for the top "tier" of the mini cake, that way it has color already when it comes out.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:24am
post #23 of 24

Cake truffles might do the trick for you. They can be packaged elegantly and your favors would still be cake.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:02am
post #24 of 24
Quote:

UGH! Any other ideas of what I could stuff my little 4x4 favor boxes with! ; )

I'm feeling for you kiddo. My son and his bride were married last July. It was a DIY wedding. Luckily, they knew someone who would make a cake for them and this was not an issue. icon_lol.gif (It's in my photos) Willow tree cake topper and penguins

I'm very proud of my son, they came up with some very frugal ideas. The kid purchased Chocolate melts, a few different molds, and the boxes to put them in .
Each box had 4 home made chocolates in them. A seashell for my son who grew up on the Outer Banks of N.C., and Ohio Buckeye for my daughter-in-law from Ohio, A heart, and a ying-yang symbol. (for whatever reason)
Anyhow, they were able to make this favors weeks before the wedding and everyone loved them.
Getting married can be very stressful. I can appreciate you wanting to make cake, but I would suggest you try to keep your wedding as stress free as possible.
Maybe you can make a few small cakes for your rehearsal dinner if you really feel like you want to do that.

Hope this helps..
tokazodo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%