Anyone Catch Cupcake Wars Last Night?

Lounge By Mb20fan Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 12:53am by shanney54

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 16

Cupcake Wars last night:
Not sure if this was a re-run or not, but it was the episode when they had to do LA Kings Hockey inspired cupcakes. One of the teams decided to make a topper that resembled the goal net. She said she used isomalt - melted it and shaped it on a cone to set. Well at the judging, she was told that this was not edible. Huh? I see this used alot on the cake shows and such, I mean Lauri Dutinno of Cake Alchemy (on Amazing Wedding cakes) uses that technique all the time. I've never heard that this was not edible. I'm inquiring because I just purchased some isomalt sticks - something new - they are like ready made sticks that you just melt in the microwave because I had planned to use this with my jewel molds to make little diamond gem decorations. This is a medium that I am really not that familiar with. Anyone catch that on the show? Anyone know of this not being edible? Thanks for the help.

15 replies
JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 16

I saw that episode and was wondering the same thing? I have seen it made and used in cakes as well.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 16

I did see that and was curious myself about it not being edible.

Mb20fan Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 16

Even the decorator was like in shock when he said that to her, she said she didn't know that. Image

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 16

It's like any other sugar free candy--it can cause extreme gastrointestinal distress. I once ate a tiny bag of sugar free orange slices--Oh Sweet Jesus take me home right now! I was So Sick. But I have tummy issues anyhow.

It is edible. You just suffer for eating too much-- and I think she probably had too much on each cake to be safe for the public at large.

I wanted them both to win.

But I mean the other lady also had raw tuna on top of one of her cupcakes? Now that's clearly over the line in terms of food safety to me!

Mb20fan Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 16

Wow K8 - thanks for that insight. So...if I were to make 'jewels', I guess to be safe, I should remove them before serving. Hmmm...as small as these were to be, it's almost not worth doing. Image

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 16

If each person ate even one or two really large oversized jewels --say the size of a butterscotch hard candy--it would be fine. I can eat isomalt without exploding.

I had eaten about 7 or 8 orange slices candies when the bag was clearly marked that two slices make one serving hahahahaha made a believer outa me!

But really you'll be fine with an isomalt accent. If it's encrusted with jewels-yes, I'd remove them. And you don't have to worry like with rhinestones or something that's truly inedible if you miss removing a few.

I'd also do a written and verbal disclaimer.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:10am
post #8 of 16

Isomalt is a form of Splenda, that is what I always have heard.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:50am
post #9 of 16

but splenda is edible! i thought it was just like eating candy, small amts is fine, but u wouldnt want to eat a whole stick of it! i was surprised when he said that!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:15am
post #10 of 16

I saw the episode and nearly smacked the judge thru the TV when he said that. He needs to get his "English" straight--it IS EDIBLE, but it's difficult to eat when made into sturdy decos. It does cause "gastointestinal distress" when too much is consumed, but one "crown" wouldn't have hurt anyone icon_cool.gif

It never ceases to amaze me that on so many of these shows, they don't seem to use fact-checkers. They'll let anyone say anything and never provide another side or disclaimer.

Buddy covered a cake in black disco dust one night, raving about how it was edible--NOT! Non-toxic, but not edible, and for decoration ONLY. Next shot is of a woman chowing down on it. I wrote to TLC asking for a retraction of the statement, but I never heard anything.

These "errors" just give us more to "fight" about with muggles icon_mad.gif

Rae

-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:31pm
post #11 of 16

Yes yes yes on Buddy's disco dust statement-I remember that one too.

And I did some light googling on the Splenda/isomalt thing and it is in the same family--not exactly the same product. But both edible of course.

But again what about the tuna!!!! Did she really put that on there? I'm gonna hafta go back & check.

Mb20fan Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 16

I'm pretty sure she did put tuna on there, but that's just 'sushi' so it was fine. Gross, but safe to eat. I have a hard time accepting anything 'savory' in a cupcake. Something about 'savory' and 'cake' just don't go together, to me. I don't care to watch that part of the cupcake wars challenge.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 16

It's not ok to hold raw protein in a hot studio for a while nor hold it out of the frige while the cakes are delivered nor hold it out of temp while cakes are served. Nuh ugh.

Does raw tuna get a four hour window like cream cheese? I don't think so. It has to be held above 140 or below 40 degrees yes/no? Surely it's a la minute? And dude's worried about the isomalt?

Mb20fan Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 16

Not a sushi eater, so I don't know about all that. Either way - it was gross to me. Can't wrap my brain around a 'savory cupcake'. Image

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 16

My whole thought on making everything edilble on the cake is like this...

The gumpaste toppers are edible but you are never going to see someone eat one.

I think the same thing applies with the previous poster about the jewels. I don't think the average consumer is going to pop one of those in their mouth, even if it is served to them with the slice of cake.

I just don't get the whole everything has to be edible on a cake, especially when so many aspects that are edible are never eaten. Food safe yes...edible not so much.

Just my two cents.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:53am
post #16 of 16

I'm glad that I saw this! I was surprised when I heard, or was it read, that isomalt wasn't edible. When I start trying to learn how to work with sugar I wasn't going to use isomalt because of what he said. I guess I'll just have to learn that it's just tv and have to take it with a grain of salt.

I wish they would give them other ingredients besides meat products. "Savory" and "cupcake" are not two words that go together in my book either, Mb20fan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%