Sugar-Free Icing?

Baking By Faithbound Updated 27 Jun 2012 , 2:36pm by Alex90

Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 16

I cannot possibly think of a way to make sugar-free icing for decorating cakes, but there are many things I never would have thought of that many people have. So does anyone have any good sugar-free icing recipes that still allow decorating? I got asked today if I can make an entire specialty cake sugar-free. Using powdered sugar for buttercream and fondant what do I do? Thank you in advance!

Trina

15 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 16

Trina, the only sugar free frosting I've made is mixing sugar free pudding with heavy whipping cream. It makes like a mouse type texture. I was able to pipe with it but I couldn't get it perfectly smooth and it requires refrigeration. I wonder if you could make one of the meringue buttercreams with something like Splenda. I can not think of a sugarless substitute for powdered sugar though. Sugarshack has a sugar free cake recipe and the recipe for the frosting I used on her blog.

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:29am
post #3 of 16

I just had a cake order for a Type 1 diabetic for Christmas and after baking 3 rocks that landed in the garbage, this is what I did. She wanted a Lemon cake with Lemon filling, so I made a cake using 1/4 sugar and 3/4 Splenda. The lemon filling had only splenda. Because of the Splenda, the cake didn't rise by much, so I torted the cake, took the top, made cake crumbs and mixed it with the lemon filling. Then for icing, I made SMBC, with the instruction to the client, that they had to peel away the fondant on the diabetic's slice, cut away the SMBC and that way they had a cake that was only 1.3mg of sugar in the entire cake. Worked fine, plus other people eating the cake can enjoy the SMBC and fondant if they wish. Hope this helps! Oh, and I'll never bake a diabetic cake again - pain in the arse!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:34am
post #4 of 16

I was just going to suggest SMBC made with splenda instead of sugar. Start with a very small batch and see how it turns out. It's not going to be able to be considered 'light' or 'diet' though because the main ingredient is butter. But if you're trying to meet special needs like a diabetic diet, perhaps this will work. I have not been able to try it yet, so I don't know if it would whip up the same, taste the same, etc. If you do try it, let us know how it goes. I will do the same if I get to make it soon.

As mentioned, try a small batch, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 cup splenda (or the equivalent sweetness... splenda is usually cup for cup with sugar) and 1 1/2 cups butter. If you're not familiar with the method, holler and I'll help ya!

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:06am
post #5 of 16

I just saw in the store the other day Sugar free Powdered "Sugar". I was in a hurry so couldnt really look at it all that well but from what I quickly saw you use it the same as normal powdered sugar. So I would assume you can still make buttercream with it. If I have chance i'll try to grab the name of it for you. Something makes me wanna believe it was a Splenda brand, but dont quote me on that.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 16

You could make cream cheese icing with Splenda Granulated.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 16

Found this on ehow.com:

Sugar-free replacement for powdered sugar
Combine 1 part granulated sugar substitute, 2 parts dry powdered milk and 2 parts cornstarch in a blender, and blend until the mixture is fine. This can be used to replace an equal amount of powdered sugar without the refined sugar. This recipe is best for use mixed in a recipe rather than as a topping for desserts (See Resources). The dry milk powder will add bulk to this substitute, allowing it to act more like regular powdered sugar.

My mom is diabetic so I'm going to have to try this!!

Melvira Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monirr04

I just saw in the store the other day Sugar free Powdered "Sugar". I was in a hurry so couldnt really look at it all that well but from what I quickly saw you use it the same as normal powdered sugar. So I would assume you can still make buttercream with it. If I have chance i'll try to grab the name of it for you. Something makes me wanna believe it was a Splenda brand, but dont quote me on that.

Oh wow! I hadn't seen that yet. icon_surprised.gif I can't wait to find it and try it out. It's probably not around here yet though... we get things slower in the midwest. icon_rolleyes.gif

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monirr04

Oh wow! I hadn't seen that yet. icon_surprised.gif I can't wait to find it and try it out. It's probably not around here yet though... we get things slower in the midwest. icon_rolleyes.gif

I actually have some in front of me right now.

It is called "Ideal Low Calorie Sweetener Confectionery". The ingredient list is "Xylitol, Maltodextrin, corn starch and Less than 0.05% sucralose for added sweetness". It states on the bag that it measures cup for cup like powdered sugar and is suitable for people with diabetes, "Frost without Sugar". Distributed by Heartland Sweeteners in Carmel, IN. It is also Gluten Free. Comes in a resealable 16 oz. white with green bag with pictures of iced cupcake tops on the front.

My husband recently found out his is a type 2 diabetic, so I bought this to make frosting for his cakes but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will have to soon because I think it would be a great advantage to be able to offer sugar-free options for our cakes.

Here is a picture of the bag.

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 16

That's it!!! Thanks for posting the picture of it!

Will you let us know how it turns out when you do try it. I would love to know.

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 16

I just made a sugar free red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting last week. I use gave nectar that I get at whole foods market. It is a liquid sweetener that is all natural from the gave plant. It has an amber color like honey and the texture of thinned honey, and tastes sugar in the raw. In additional tobaking you can use it in tea and coffee and cooking. I put it on pancakes/waffles too. It is more expensive than sugar of course so I price accordingly. so....
This is enough to fill frost and write on a two layer 9 or 10 inch cake.
1/2 cup of cream cheese
1/2 cup of unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
mix until well blended
add Agave nectar until you get the sweetness and consistency you prefer. I dont really measure but probably use about a cup and a half.

It can be colored and piped, and tastes best on carrot cake IMHO.

It's best if used right away, bc texture gets weird once its refrigerated and needs to be rewhipped and you will need to wait until it gets completely room temp again.
You can also purchase agave nectar online.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:33am
post #12 of 16

Malodextrin, Sucralose, honey, agave nectar- they are all forms of sugar. They effect blood sugar levels to different degrees, but they are all sugar. Most physicans advise diabetics to pay attention to carbohydrates rather than just sugar. The flour in the cake will have lots of carbs. The best advice I've ever read is from a diabetic: eat a much smaller piece and make allowances for it in your diet.

Sorry, I just had to say that. I've read quite a few times suggestions that seem to disagree with the above. I'd say the best bet is cream cheese icing made with a sugar-free sugar substitute.

pinkmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkmonkeys Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:53pm
post #13 of 16

Hey,
my father has a rare condition (no name) but he cannot eat anything sweet at all, this includes sugar substitutes, natural sugars such as fruit, anything really that is sweet and sugary. I am finding it impossible to make an icing for him. recently he has tried my homemade shortbread cookies (completely sugar fee), and spicy chrizio and cheese muffins (again completely sugar free) and now i want to make him eclairs but would be much nicer of could find a completely sugar free icing. icon_sad.gif

Melvira Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 16

pinkmonkeys, I'm afraid to guess that if he can't have anything sweet, including natural fruit sugars or sugar substitutes, you are most likely out of luck. Have you looked into the stevia plant? It is possibly your last chance for a sweetener. I would certainly look into it and ask his doctor about it. Worth a try, right? I'm sorry he's going through this... it's just not fair to have so many delectable things taken from you. But him being healthy is all that matters!! Best of luck! thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:19am
post #15 of 16

Check out this product. If you scroll down it will have two videos one for sugar free frosting and one for sugar free fillings. I can't wait to try it. http://www.flavorright.com/products/videos/

Alex90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alex90 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 2:36pm
post #16 of 16

Hello!
I know originally the topic was sugar free icing but since there was so much diabetes talk I wanted to tell you about a great product for sugar free recipes. It's a protein powder from visalus sciences called the vi- shake mix. I recently used it to make cocoa banana muffin/cupcakes and they were delicious no sugar or flour needed! The powder is completely diabetic safe and the muffin/cupcakes are healthy and delicious. I've also made protein balls with it tooicon_smile.gif its been a great discovery of mine and an awesome new way to have my cake and eat it too!! It is only sold through independent distributors so if you'd like to know more post ere or email me at [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%