Need Help Please With 3D Escalade Monster Truck!

Decorating By Linliv46 Updated 27 Dec 2010 , 8:42pm by Linliv46

Linliv46 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:49am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this? Its not really the top of the truck that bothers me but the frame and supports! Have never done one before so any help would be appreciated!

7 replies
SBaker Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 8

When I do 3D vehicles, I raise the cake off of the board on styrofoam, smaller than the cake itself, iced black so it doesn't show so much. That way, it looks as if the cake is resting on the tires. I have used the specs from car models to get everything on the car to scale.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:20am
post #3 of 8

I used styrofoam covered in frosting to raise the Jeep Cherokee in my pics. I cut out a cardboard cake board to go under the "chassis" part and used royal icing as glue. I didn't use any internal supports (I was still pretty new and unaware I needed such things) now I'd probably at least use a little bit of support because it was a seriously heavy cake, but the foam worked perfectly, I used big chocolate old fashioned doughnuts for the tires and lots of frosting to hold everything together.

cownsj Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 8

My bottom layer, smaller than the car itself was done in cake, covered in black fondant. I attached to shocks and other hardward from under the car onto the black fondant. The wheels were attached using a dowel, away from the cake a bit so you could see the shocks behind. I'm not sure I'm explaining it right, but maybe the photo will help.⊂=1813278

LilaLoa Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 8

I built a frame for my 3D monster truck cake. I got a long board and cut into two pieces. I drilled holes into (but not through) the bottom of the top piece (that went under the cake) and the top of the bottom piece (that I decorated to look like a road.) I purchased dowels that were the same size as the holes I had drilled. I glued those into the holes. I wired 2 more dowels horizontally across both the front and back set of dowels to hold the giant tires. It sounds kind of confusing. I have a picture in my pictures of a blue monster truck if you want to see what I mean. It worked really well. Let me know if you have more questions!

Linliv46 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone soo much! You have given me a clearer vision of what I have to do! My head was spinning just trying to figure some way! Pray for me on this one!

FlourPots Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 8
Linliv46 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 8

[quote="FlourPots"]CakeMommyTX posted a tutorial w/ diagram on this thread:[/quote
Thank you sooo much!]

Quote by @%username% on %date%