Cake Height

Decorating By Rainyvv Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 2:12pm by Karen421

Rainyvv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainyvv Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 9

I am new to Cake decorating and cake central. Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find the answer.

I have been pushed into making some cakes for family and friends and have not had tme to research how tall a cake should be. I found answers on wedding cakes. But I am just making celebration cakes. I have been making them about 4.5 inches high. Is this average? Should they be less than that?

Thanks!

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 9

Standard for any cake is bout 4 inches.
You say your being pushed into making cakes for people - if that is literal wording, get a backbone and say no! Or it won't be long before u stop enjoying cakes.
xx

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 9

Welcome Rainyvv!! and Merry Christmas! I would say standard would be about 4" but you could go 4 1/2 or 5 if added a layer or used thicker filling. icon_smile.gif

Rainyvv Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:16am
post #4 of 9

I think I used the wrong word. After my first cake on November It's been going along fast with orders. I'm enjoying it but I didn't know I would be good when I started.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:15am
post #5 of 9

Did you have any difficulty getting your kitchen licensed so quickly? It's great to be able to ramp up a home business and enjoy that fast start. Or are you giving all these cakes away as gifts?

Rainyvv Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:28am
post #6 of 9

lol I don't think it will turn into a business seems to complicated. But if my friends and family want to buy the supplies I need for a cake I will keep this as a hobby. I'll make all the cakes they want. I guess you can call them gifts.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:22am
post #7 of 9

The standard for layer cakes is two 2" layers.
Sheet cakes are typically one 2" layer.

Hope this helps: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

(if you are taking orders, you are a business... it might be helpful to learn basic baking standards, serving sizes, how much to charge for your area--including if it's legal in your area, and if so--how to get licensed and insured, and if it's realistically feasible by writing a business plan. HTH, and good luck.)

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:45am
post #8 of 9

I use 3" pans but never fill to the tops so each pan is about 2.5" so without cutting etc when I stack them they're around 5". Once you cut they are smaller BUTTTTT then you add filling and right back to 5" icon_smile.gif haha sounds so crazy when I say it out loud but I guess its what I'm used to now LOL

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 9

I am doing my DD's wedding cake 5", but I am doing 3 layers, 1 1/2" (or there abouts) with filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%