Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

Decorating By amywood20 Updated 27 Dec 2010 , 1:09am by tastyart

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 5

Hello - I saw on one of the cake television shows a technique I had not heard of before and wanted to see if anyone here has tried it and if so, did it work. After putting fondant on a cake, the lady took her airbrush gun and sprayed the cake with vodka, then she painted it. The rationale for the vodka was to remove any cornstarch that may have been left on the fondant, making for a clean surface to airbrush on. Any thoughts on this? I'd love to try it but hate to risk ruining a cake if it causes any sort of issues.

4 replies
soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 5

Why don't you triy it on a lg piece of roll out fondant or a fondant covered dummy cake or you can cover one of your cake pans with fondant and try the technique. Let us know what happens icon_wink.gif I do not have an airbrush, but I am thinking of buying one!
CIAO

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 5

It's true - most cakers don't have an airbrush so you can just paint it on, leave it to evaporate.
xx

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:41am
post #4 of 5

I prefer everclear, the higher the proof of the alcohol, the faster it evaporates.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:09am
post #5 of 5

I don't have an airbrush either. I paint the vodka on with a large brush when I want the cake to have a slightly shiny finish. It makes the colors look more vibrant too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%