Cricut Fondant Roller

Decorating By sweetlorraine Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 11:36pm by HamSquad

sweetlorraine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlorraine Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 7:46am
post #1 of 11

Has anyone else heard about this? Finally! It looks like we'll have something wider than your average pasta machine to work with, without spending 2 G's for a professional sheeter! [http://www.robertsconfectionery.com.au/products/COMING-2011-%252d-THE-CRICUT-FONDANT-ROLLER.html][/url]

10 replies
CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 8:08am
post #2 of 11

I love the price but i wish it was longer... its only 12in and thats not enough when your working with big or tall cakes icon_sad.gif

sweetlorraine Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 8:35am
post #3 of 11

Yep - I think 16-18" is ideal. There is a lovely professional model that takes up less counter space than others I've seen. It does 17" wide, but of course it is around $1600.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 11

It'd be great if they'd put a motor on it icon_smile.gif

sweetlorraine Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 11

I've just spent a couple hours looking all over the internet for a wider rolling machine - even hand crank. Of course there are wonderful commercial ones, but since I can't afford that - I was hoping to see if there was anything cheaper than the cricut will be. It looks like I may try making my own version - hopefully it will work. There are people out there looking for the same thing, and have many ideas (using a metal sheeter, an old fashioned clothes wringer, etc.)

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:34am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

It'd be great if they'd put a motor on it icon_smile.gif

Ditto

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:16am
post #7 of 11

I have been wondering for the longest if a clay sheeter could be used with the large food grade vinyl sheets to roll out fondant? Just a thought. I have been looking at the North Stars.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:40am
post #8 of 11

I got the 20" fondant sheeter to roll out my gum paste. It was expensive, but I use it all the time. At the ICES convention ther was a company that sells different craft items. They have a 10" roller that sells for about the same price and you can get a motor with it. Here is the web site
http://polymerclayexpress.com/dreammachine.html

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 11

i know that this is an old post but in case anyone is still watching...I've got a fondant roller that I just love. My fondant comes out perfect even with very large tiers. You can get it here http://www.winbeckler.com/CakeTrick-Fondant-Roller-Rolling-Pin-13p13716.htm

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 11

J do mostly cookies. I struggled with getting my dough and also fondant, which I use for icing, rolled evenly. I used dowel rods, even made a DIY board to roll on, was continually looking for a better way then finally found the Bailey Mini Might 16" slab roller. It is made for clay, but I roll the dough between sheets of parchment, and the fondant between vinyl mats, so the product does not touch the roller. You can not believe the difference!!

The rollers are similar to the old wringer type washer, and the gears that turn them are fantastic. All you do is clamp (and you do have to use clamps, I just happened to have two small wood clamps that look like pliers) two sheets of parchment paper to the shim board, pat out about a pound and a half of dough, lay the top parchment over the dough. I kind of "guide" the shim boards through, while turning the handle. It turns very easily. I get 4 nice, large slabs of dough, rolled exactly 1/4" which I stack up on a full size bun pan and put it in the fridge for about an hour. I can cut 11-12 cookies (about 3") out of each slab.

I cut all of the slabs, then re roll and get another slab and a half. The most any of the dough gets rolled is 3 times, the rest is so small that I usually end up saving the bits till I have enough to bake some cookies to practice with. I did have my son-in-law revamp the shims so there were not so many to deal with. As long as you keep one of the original shims on the bottom, you can use any combination to get the depth you want. Normally, I roll my cookies at 1/4 in, and my fondant at 1/8 in, however, I have rolled cookies at 1/2 in and the process is the same, you just change the shims.

Here is the link to Baileys: http://www.baileypottery.com/slabrollers/drd2.htm#Mini I have the first one, the 16", I know $230 is a chunk of money, but it makes it so easy to roll cookie dough and fondant. Not only is it the exact depth you want, but the rollers put even pressure on the dough so it is very compact, which you do not get when you roll by hand. Since I could not justify the expense of a sheeter, this was the next best thing, at least for me.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks bonniekaye, Ladyfish74, and linedancer for all the info. You guys have answered my question and beyond. Again a sincere thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%