Classes Or Self Taught?

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 12:38am by FullHouse

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 31

Has anyone taught themselves the art of cake decorating without the Wilton courses? If so how did you go about it? Books, Videos, or a combination of things?

The reason I ask is because I took the first course and it seems that a lot of what she told us we could have just read the student manual and practiced. I don't know maybe it was just me. I'm still contemplating taking the rest of the series though, the Flowers and Cake design and the Gum Paste and Fondant. Then maybe one day the Master Course.

30 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 31

I am self taught, with alot of CC and youtube!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Ditto, with the exception of the first Wilton course.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 31
Quote:

Ditto, with the exception of the first Wilton course.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 31

I am self taught without the wilton course.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 31

I'm completely CC-taught icon_smile.gif. Then again, I'm not doing this professionally, and I'm sure there's lots of stuff I would need to know from a decorating perspective if I were to want to go into business (not even mentioning the business aspect, since this is a purely decorating question). But for my purposes, the wealth of information on CC has been enormous. I also have a couple of videos by Sharon Zambito, which are fantastic, but I find that books are quite limiting , as most everything in there is on the internet and has been expanded upon quite wonderfully (a living breathing organism instead of a static paragraph in a book). Good luck!

jcook83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcook83 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 31

Self-taught...Even though I haven't been doing this very long. I work shift-work and just don't have the time to take a course since I don't have the same day off every week. I love CC...watched some You Tube...read stuff on Wilton.com...and A LOT of trial-and-error lol

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 31

I took all of the wilton courses which gave me a good background. This was before the internet was very accessible and all of the other classes were way out of my financial budget. Then alot of what I have learned now has come from cc and cake club demos. I think it depends on what type of learner you are, for me visual always has helped. I can tell you that I have grown leaps and bounds from the internet. Classes like the ones by mike mccrary, etc. are still expensive but one day I will take one.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 31

I am completely self taught...I learned through tutorials, you tube, CC etc...

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 31

HI! Merry Christmas!!
I took the four Wilton courses,for which I am very glad! icon_smile.gif I got a good teacher and started with a good group of people plus a coupon for the class and got hooked on this hobby!! and I wanted more!!!but then I found CC and You tube, There you can learn a lot.The internet is so full of information!
Ideas, techniques, and support icon_biggrin.gif . I have also taken more classes because I need to see personally how it is done, this way is easier for me. Two years ago I could only bake and serve, now I can do so pretty cakes I can make so many happy and I am happy as well! I am very proud of myselft I though there was not anything else I could learn, I was so wrong! icon_biggrin.gif
I had a nice time in my classes, and we were the same group for a while.We got to know each other and be friends. I enjoy it a lot! But do not buy all of their products, some are good and other you will never use or poor quality. icon_sad.gif I bought most all of it, and some of them are still unused! icon_sad.gif
Rylan, a CC member has a sticky with lots of tutorials, I love him, Edna, Sweetflower they are also very generous, Indydebbie, Leah and so many others to help you learn. I am so grateful to them for all I have also learn from them!

CIAO

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:51pm
post #11 of 31

Completely self taught from websites such as these. Wanted to take classes but that hasn't happened so far.

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 31

I am mostly self-taught. I took two Wilton courses about 25 years ago and just learned by books and now CC and videos. I just kept practicing on my family!haha

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 31

Here's a similar thread if you're interested in viewing more people's responses about how they learned:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-698050-self.html+taught

I think if you want to learn something bad enough, you'll find a way to teach yourself through trial and error with books or videos. If you'd rather have hands-on experience or enjoy the one-on-one interaction, perhaps the classes would be of the best benefit for you (if you have the time and money) or you could work in a bakery if you'd like to gain the knowledge of what it really takes to put the skills you've learned into real-life practices. Either way, you'll never regret taking the time to learn more. Have fun, and keep learning!

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 9:01pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:

Ditto.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 31

I worked at Dunkin' Donuts from 1979 until 1983. Learned some basic skills there. (mixing icings, mixing, baking, frying donuts)
Apprenticed as a baker from 1983-1987 (Moved from NJ to NC and had my first son) Took the Wilton basic decorating class somewhere in there.
1987 - present Self taught at home...looking forward to opening my own bakery soon!

I would highly recomended taking a class on the basic skills such as stacking and supporting wedding cakes.

Good Luck!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 11:14pm
post #16 of 31

I really learning hands on and always ask a million questions, so I enjoyed the Wilton courses for the basics. Now I love to take classes at local cake shows whenever I can. I use You Tube, DVDs and books as well, but I really enjoy the interaction aspect.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 11:43pm
post #17 of 31

I would love to take classes, but the closest Wilton classes are 75 miles away, and with two kids under 3 and no driver's license, that's a commitment I can't make right now.
I'm (obviously) still a novice, but everything I've learned so far has been from Youtube, CC, and old wilton books I've picked up second hand. I first heard about CC from Serious_cakes awesome youtube channel.

icon_smile.gif

SleeplessBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SleeplessBaker Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 11:46pm
post #18 of 31

I only took the first wilton course. Bought the second course book and have been practicing on my own. The CC forum and Wilton forum have been great sources for information. And Youtube is great for learning new techniques.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 11:59pm
post #19 of 31

I have never, and will never take a Wilton course. I am 100% self taught! I feel the Wilton courses are more geared to you buying and using their products, which some are nice, but a lot of them are lower quality than what I prefer. I googled everything I needed to know, thats also how I found this website. CC will help you sooooo much with how to, you can ask questions, post pictures and ask how to improve it next time...its a wonderful site!

sgregory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgregory Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 12:22am
post #20 of 31

I am completely self-taught thus far! I'm still learning alot and have only been into decorating cakes for about a year now.

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #21 of 31

And Happy Holidays

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #22 of 31

I took a wilton class 20 years ago before my son was born and regrettfully, I fell away from cake decorating. I was still baking, but using the dredded canned icing. icon_smile.gif I took all 4 classes this year before wilton changed it to only 3. I learned a lot, but find that I learn just as much if not more on the web, this website, and videos. I would still like to go to IL and take the class that Wilton offers there.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 5:48pm
post #23 of 31

I took three Wilton courses, which was a good foundation. Other than that, I am self-taught through books, videos, and learning from others on sites like CC.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 7:52pm
post #24 of 31

I'm just a hobbyist, I haven't had any classes yet, but have learned a ton from all the helpful folks on this site icon_smile.gif

I've mostly learned from books, online tutorials, and lots of practicing on my dear family.

I would love to take some classes but it's tough to find the time with two little ones. I've been considering saving up my pennies to go to cake camp in reno this july... has anyone done this, did you like it/ think the classes were helpful and worthwhile? I'd love to hear more about what it's like.

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:20am
post #25 of 31

Wilton 1 and 2. Making the rest up as I go along! icon_smile.gif)

joni5204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joni5204 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:27am
post #26 of 31

Completely self taught. I started by just reading the info in the books

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:10am
post #27 of 31

I, too, am completely self-taught, although my m-i-l showed me how to make and use a parchment triangle and decorator tips about 30 years ago (don't think they had disposables avail. to hobbyists back then.) I bought Wilton Yearbooks every year and tried lots of things on my own. I still prefer buttercream cakes, simply because I love piping....love doing it, love how it looks, and love how it tastes. icon_smile.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:31am
post #28 of 31

I am too ; self taught. Although I know I have a long way to go to become good. I do feel that every cake is better than the previous.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 9:48pm
post #29 of 31

Mostly self taught, exception of learning a few things from my cake decorator mother before I left home. But, now we are 800 miles away from each other so I had to take up where she left off. I still talk with my mother for tips, how to's, etc, but mostly now I use the internet... CC, You tube and wilton.com

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 10:03pm
post #30 of 31

Self taught. Many thanks to all the authors who wrote and illustrated many fabulous cake books, couldn't have done it without their help. And, to everyone here on CC for their help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%