How Do You Prepare Your Pans?

Decorating By YorkieMaMa Updated 27 Dec 2010 , 6:50pm by Mb20fan

YorkieMaMa Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 37

I am fairly new to cake decorating and learned by using Wiltons Cake Release. It works really well, but wonder how each of you prepare your pans. I would like to try another method in case I find something I like better, or run out of Cake Release in the middle of cake baking.

36 replies
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 37

I just use parchment in the bottom of my pans.

But another pan release that's great is:

Combine equal parts shortening and flour then mix in an equal amount of oil.

So that's equal parts of each. Great stuff.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 37

Parchment on the bottoms, Crisco on the sides.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 37

A thought about that is that cakes can climb better/higher if there's no grease on the sides--you do have to release it with a knife around the edge when it's time to de-pan but...just a thought.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I just use parchment in the bottom of my pans.

But another pan release that's great is:

Combine equal parts shortening and flour then mix in an equal amount of oil.

So that's equal parts of each. Great stuff.

I use it all of the time and it works wonders!!!!!

FlourPots Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 37

I butter (sometimes Crisco) the sides...a little on the bottom so the parchment will stay put...then a little right on top of the parchment.

I won't bake without parchment.

mclaren Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 37

I use parchment at the bottom, butter on the sides, and if I anticipate the cake's gonna rise very high above the rim of the pan, then parchment on the sides too, with extra height to accommodate the rising batter.

leah_s Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 12:15am
post #8 of 37

pan grease - been using that for years. I've recently switched from waxed paper onthe bottom of the pan to parchment. The wax paper works fine, but I decided my time was valuable. I purchased 1000 packs of the precut parchment rounds for pretty much every size pan. Eaaassy!

indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 8:41am
post #9 of 37

Grease only .... no flour. And by "grease" I mean Pan Release or any such similar product. If I'm out of that I use plain Crisco. bottoms and sides. I haven't floured a pan in decades.

Cupcakeavenue Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 37

wilton cake release, a fantastic product

cakesrock Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcakeavenue

wilton cake release, a fantastic product

ditto

DaphneSUE Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 37

i was using just cooking spray but i found that it made the bottoms and sides of the cake soggy ...Bakers Joy is what we use now...works pretty good

Wiltonlady Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 37

Walmart cooking spray and wax paper on the bottom. And of course, flower nail, if the cake is bigger than 8".

ILE Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 37

parchment paper work for me.

KieslerKakes Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:28pm
post #15 of 37

I use wax paper on bottom and sides. No mess, no fuss, no spraying. The cakes are easy to store with wax paper left on.

SleeplessBaker Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:46pm
post #16 of 37

Bakers Joy. Since I started using it I haven't had a single cake stick. Even when I forgot about a cake I had cooling. It cooled completly in the pan. A few taps on the bottom and it came out perfectly.

ConfectionsCC Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:48pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Grease only .... no flour. And by "grease" I mean Pan Release or any such similar product. If I'm out of that I use plain Crisco. bottoms and sides. I haven't floured a pan in decades.

Really? don't flour the pan? WOW I learned from my grandmother to ALWAYS grease(use butter) and flour...so just Crisco or pan release alone works? I also use renolds (sp?) on the bottom, not sure if thats wax or parchment lol! didnt know there was a difference! Gosh I need to do some research!

Dayti Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 37

Years and years ago, I read that using just butter/fat to grease your pans made your cakes "fry" on the edges. I also read that flour made your cakes dry on the edges. However, using the bakers grease that is equal parts of shortening, oil and flour, works fantastically! I also put a pre-cut round of parchment in the bottom of all pans.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 37

I just use the pan release as well with no parchment papers, etc.

For those that do both, what is the benefit for using the paper? I find that the pan release works great on its own, so why would you need the paper too?

Dayti Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 37

Using the parchment for me just makes double sure that my cakes are easy to turn out, whether they are are hot, lukewarm, or cool. It's ease of mind icon_wink.gif Nothing worse than a chunk of cake getting stuck to the pan, and wrecking the whole thing.

kimbm04r Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 5:19pm
post #21 of 37

I use the homemade cake release as well. I also put parchment paper on the bottom and around the sides if I put extra batter in the pan.

cownsj Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 5:45pm
post #22 of 37

How do I prepare my pans? Well, I sit them down and have a talk with them. I tell them they have a big job ahead and that I'm counting on them. I tell them it's probably gonna get hot for a while, but I know they can handle the heat......

Ok, I'm being silly. I just use spray on them, and never have a problem.

microbiology1 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:42am
post #23 of 37

For most cakes I can get away with regular non-stick spray (i.e. Pam). I've also used non-stick spray with flour but don't notice much difference. I have found that for my red velvet I MUST use wax paper at the bottom and then grease/flour. After you've thrown 3 or so in the trash you learn your lesson!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

How do I prepare my pans? Well, I sit them down and have a talk with them. I tell them they have a big job ahead and that I'm counting on them. I tell them it's probably gonna get hot for a while, but I know they can handle the heat......

Ok, I'm being silly. I just use spray on them, and never have a problem.

Too Funny!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:22am
post #25 of 37

But seriously, be real careful with those sprays--don't breath that stuff. I always held my breath & sprayed then walked away from the area to breath. Just be careful guys we don't need to grease out lungs too.

<heart>

cownsj Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:23am
post #26 of 37

Boy, you aren't kidding. I'm always gagging when I have to spray too much. I should put on a face mask for it.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:25am
post #27 of 37

I love Pillsbury cooking spray with flour. It's kind ofhard to find in my area, only a few stores carry it so when I buy it I get a couple. I've never had a cake stick to the pan, when I don't fall asleep and forget it in the pan while it's cooling that is... icon_redface.gif

cheriej Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:38am
post #28 of 37

I used to use Pam, then I buttered/floured my pans. Then I used to cut out wax paper for the bottoms.

Now, I just spray Baker's Joy all over and buy the pre cut parchment rounds and put those in the bottom. Have never had a problem since and I've saved a lot of time. I find that the parchment is good for the moister cakes and gets them to release easily.

Carmelo Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:56am
post #29 of 37

There is a Baking PAM that sprays PAM and Flour. Try it. I like it.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:57am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Boy, you aren't kidding. I'm always gagging when I have to spray too much. I should put on a face mask for it.

Honestly seriously wearing a mask is a great idea especially if you're doing a bunch of pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%