Quick Question...

Decorating By TamiAZ Updated 25 Dec 2010 , 7:49am by cabecakes

TamiAZ Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 8

I did try searching for my answer, but I could only search one page for some reason..

Anyway, I made a new type of icing I've never made before...It has 3 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 cup of whole milk and 1.5 cups of sugar.

Do I need to refridgerate it? It's for Christmas dinner tomorrow. It's a scratch red velvet cake and I'm concerned that it will dry out if I stick it in the fridge, but I feel like I should throw it in the fridge because of the cream and milk in the icing. I'm soooo confused!!

Thanks.

7 replies
ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 8

Usually the ratio between fats and sugars allows it to be counter safe...but that one is a whole lot of milk and cream! id like to know the answer to this too...and if you want to stick it in the fridge before icing the cake, just put it in an airtight container, if the cake is decorated, I always box it, then seran wrap the entire box! then when you take the box out of the fridge, let it come to room temp still wrapped, that way the wrap catches the condensation, not the cake!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 8

I would definitely frige that.

Wow--cup and a half each of sugar, butter and liquid --that's an intriguing formula. Lemme know how it turns out.

TamiAZ Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the quick answers.... This is a very unusual recipe and it's really good. It's a recipe from Bobby Flay. I used his cake and icing recipe.

Last night I cooked the cream, whole milk and 1/2 vanilla bean just till it simmered. I then added 7 tbsp of flour and whisked it till it made a paste. I stuck it in the fridge to cool it down. This morning I whipped up the butter and super fine sugar until it was fluffy and the sugar disolved and then I added the paste a little at a time. Whip until fluffy.

It came out pretty smooth, but you have to make sure you get all the lumps out of the flour and milk mixture. It has a wonderful vanilla flavor and you do see the specks from the vanilla bean, which is kind of cool for a homemade type cake. You could probably use vanilla flavoring if you didn't want the specks.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 8

Adding the almost half cup of flour & cooking it makes a huge difference.
I figured you'd be making soup!

My recipe for that is:

1 & 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

combine ^^^ in dry unheated pot
(this avoids lumps completely)

then add 1 & 1/2 cups milk to mixture

Cook stirring constantly till it bubbles like thick mud

Cool completely and frige or freeze it

Add 4 sticks soft butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat it up

Got it out of a Wilton yearbook many moons ago -they called it French Buttercream. I don't think I was ever careful about keeping it chilled--can't remember. But I seem to recall always making it last minute and I always friged my decorated cakes anyway. Used it on all my wedding cakes for a long time till I switched to swiss mbc.

These are very similar formulas.

If someone had an old Wilton book they could look it up--if they said to keep it cold. It's their French Buttercream.

edited for a typo

cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 8

It sounds like a variation of a "cooked" icing or america's version of french buttercream. I use one but the ratio is the same but only milk, but I like it. Kinda of a cross between between sweetness of american buttercream but light like a meringue buttercream. I definitely refrigerate mine!!! I know after I cook it I of course take it out of the pot and put it into another container and put plastic wrap right on top of it to keep it from "drying out" for a lack of a better term. Oh and when I cook mine I use a whisk to not get the flour lumps. I might have to try this version though to get the richness of the cream. Yum!!!!

JanH Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:31am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

This is a very unusual recipe and it's really good. It's a recipe from Bobby Flay. I used his cake and icing recipe.

Bobby Flay's Red Velvet Cake & Frosting recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

HTH

cabecakes Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:49am
post #8 of 8

Sounds good...I may have to try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%