Indydebi's Buttercrem, Or Edna's?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 25 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm by Sangriacupcake

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 23

Right now I use Edna De la Cruz's basic crusting BC from her website. I noticed a lot of people love Indydebi's. To anyone who's tried both: which did you like better, or customers prefer? I would like to try Indydebi's but its hard to try something new once you get used to a certain BC!

22 replies
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 23

The icing with Dream Whip always tastes too sweet to me. So if you have a sweet tooth, it should be just right! Edna's is good. Serious Cakes' is good. Of all the American style buttercream recipes, I prefer Sugar Shack's for its texture and taste.

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 23

I love my icing to be super sweet, the cakes I make are sweet, but just right for the icing....Havent looked at sugar shacks, mind linking me to the recipe?

Sangriacupcake Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 23

Sugar Shack:

Her method of "filling the mixer bowl" prevents large bubbles from forming in the icing, and it's just so smooth and easy to work with.

But many people love Indydebi's, so you'll have to compare and see which one works for you. icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 23

I use Ednas, except I dont use the meringue powder (because I always forget to add it lol!). One day I tried Ednas, Indydebis and sugarshacks and, although they all tasted good, I preferred Ednas.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 23

IndyDebi's is my fave.........I've tried all of them, and I have the most luck with crusting and love, love the taste.

Kat icon_smile.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 23

Yes and Yes. I don't think you can go wrong with either...they are both very good...it depends on your own personal preference. I haven't tried Sugar Shacks, I might have to do that. One can never have to many recipes icon_smile.gif.

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 23

welll gosh, none of yall are any help LOL! JK!! I guess I will just have to have an icing marathon one night and invite people over to help me decide!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 23

I think that just like every baker has a distinct signature and style, they should also have their own unique icing. I spent many hours making every icing recipe that I could find and then tweaking it. Now I have my own unique icing and I am known for my 2 "signature" icings.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 23

I love Sugarshack's because of the taste and texture. It took me lots of tries to get the icing completely smooth, but it was so worth it.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 23

I have used both and I still use both. Each one is good for different situations. I live in the deep south..in summer the humidity and heat are terrible so I use indy's then..but other times a of the year I use Edna's (with butter and shortening) I prefer the way Edna's taste. But I just want to say if Indy's is too sweet ad a little salt..just a pinch..that helps. I have tried Sugar Shack's once and I didn't care for it...But I think I need to try it 1 more time before I rule it out.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 23

I have used both and I still use both. Each one is good for different situations. I live in the deep south..in summer the humidity and heat are terrible so I use indy's then..but other times a of the year I use Edna's (with butter and shortening) I prefer the way Edna's taste. But I just want to say if Indy's is too sweet ad a little salt..just a pinch..that helps. I have tried Sugar Shack's once and I didn't care for it...But I think I need to try it 1 more time before I rule it out. Hope that helps. icon_biggrin.gif

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 23

I never tried Edna's buttercream, but her cream cheese frosting is great!

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cupcakes

Oh my it is!!! Thats my go to recipe for cream cheese! I use Edna's and trust hers cause she is in FL, I am right here in MS, so humidity and heat battles are similar! I figured if it works for her, it should work for me! I always tweak the recipes to my personal taste!

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cupcakes

Oh my it is!!! Thats my go to recipe for cream cheese! I use Edna's and trust hers cause she is in FL, I am right here in MS, so humidity and heat battles are similar! I figured if it works for her, it should work for me! I always tweak the recipes to my personal taste!

Do you happen to know her recipe. For cream cheese off hand?

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 23

Indydebi's is a little too hard for me to get a smooth finish with. Sugarshack's method is the bomb and I love the flavor for certain cakes, but it can be a little too sweet for me sometimes. Edna's is a smidge off white, while Sugar's is perfectly white. I like Toba Garrett's decorators BC recipe too...very good and easy to work with.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

The icing with Dream Whip always tastes too sweet to me.

I add 1/2 tsp. of salt and only 6 cups of powdered sugar to Indy's and it's pure heaven.
I also make it 2 days before I need it because it's even better then.

One of my sisters (picky eater, doesn't really care for icing) LOVES this version.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #18 of 23

Another consideration is that Indydebi's recipe uses AP shortening (Crisco) while SugarShack's uses hi-ratio (Sweetex).

The use of hi-ratio in a b/c recipe results in a creamier frosting with superior performance characteristics (like mouth feel and ability to absorb greater amounts of liquid with breaking down) because hi-ratio shortening has more stabilizers and emuslifiers.

That being said, there are some very popular CC b/c recipes (like IndyDebi's) that use AP shortening, and some type of stablizier (such as Dream Whip, meringue powder, flour, icing base, etc.) that are toothsome and dependable.

If both recipes satisfy your performance requirements, the deciding factor in many choices boils down to personal preference (and possibly the dictates of your wallet).

HTH

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 1:06pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Indydebi's is a little too hard for me to get a smooth finish with. Sugarshack's method is the bomb and I love the flavor for certain cakes, but it can be a little too sweet for me sometimes. Edna's is a smidge off white, while Sugar's is perfectly white. I like Toba Garrett's decorators BC recipe too...very good and easy to work with.

I too love Sugarshack's but I can't stand to part with all that high-ratio shortening....that stuff is too expensive. I can't believe I haven't tried Ednas...she only uses a half a cup (one cup if you double it). I've tried Indydebi recipe using Sugarshack's technique.....and I get a gritty texture...almost like there is granulated sugar in it. Taste is fine....but I don't know what happens.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 2:03pm
post #20 of 23

Speaking of buttercream recipes, is there any way to make a recipe that doesn't crust into a crusting BC? I love the taste and texture of the Whimsical Bakehouse BC but hate that it doesn't crust. I've tried altering the shortening to butter ratio so there is mostly H/R shortening a just a little butter but it still doesn't crust. Any suggestions?
I love, love the flavor of Edna's BC; her's was my favorite before I started using the WB version. I may go back to Edna's because of the crusting issue.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 2:37pm
post #21 of 23

I don't know where I got this recipe, but it's the best! Tastes like homemade vanilla icecream. And it crusts.

1/2 lb. butter
1 c. shortening
2 lb. powd sugar
1 T. vanilla
1/2 c. heavy cream

Cream butter, shortening & vanilla well. Scrape bowl. Add 1/2 of sifted powd sugar. Scrape. Add cream. Scrape. Add remaining sugar. Scrape. Beat 10 minutes on high.

Sangriacupcake Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 2:59pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlets-Cakes

I don't know where I got this recipe, but it's the best! Tastes like homemade vanilla icecream. And it crusts.

1/2 lb. butter
1 c. shortening
2 lb. powd sugar
1 T. vanilla
1/2 c. heavy cream

Cream butter, shortening & vanilla well. Scrape bowl. Add 1/2 of sifted powd sugar. Scrape. Add cream. Scrape. Add remaining sugar. Scrape. Beat 10 minutes on high.

That sounds yummy!

Sangriacupcake Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

I think that just like every baker has a distinct signature and style, they should also have their own unique icing. I spent many hours making every icing recipe that I could find and then tweaking it. Now I have my own unique icing and I am known for my 2 "signature" icings.

Yes, this is so true! I usually add 4 oz. of cream cheese to my batch of Sugar Shack bc. It adds that little extra something that keeps people guessing why it tastes so good. I always give out Sugar Shack's recipe, but I tell them my little don't secret!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%