I Needed To Vent!

Decorating By rowingmom Updated 24 Dec 2010 , 10:23pm by Kellbella

rowingmom Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 8:54am
post #1 of 16

I was to have Wednesday thru Sunday off for the Holidays when I recieved a call from a dad in need of a quickly arranged cake tasting. His daughter and her fiancee were going to fly in and would only be here thru Sunday. Could I please accommidate them(I am by appointment only). I agreed to arrange a tasting at the kitchens on Thursday morning at ten. Even though my own daughter flew in late Wednesday night( I didn't get home from the airport until 1:00 a.m.) I still got up early and prepared their choices. 10:10 came and still no people. 10:15 I call to talk to the mother to be told that the future bride and groom were too tired and the Dad was feeling ill and they would not be coming in!!! I couldn't believe it!! icon_eek.gif They could have called and cancelled! O well, they propabaly would have been a PINA any way, but really, how rude! Thanks for listening to my rant.

15 replies
motherofgrace Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 9:14am
post #2 of 16

people suck sometimes!

KitchenKat Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:46am
post #3 of 16

That's it then! No cake for them and definitely no rescheduling! You don't want them as customers.

signed,

The Grinch

tinygoose Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:06am
post #4 of 16

I always consider those "rush" type, that have to have what they want RIGHT NOW a big red flag....People who do that are usually in a rush because they don't plan well....You can usually expect the rest of your relationship with this type of clients to go the same way. They are the type that MUST HAVE IT but are snails about paying for it, and quick to complain too. It's all about THEM.

Karen421 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 16

Some people just have NO consideration!!! That-I think is my biggest pet peeve!!!! Sorry they did that to you, enjoy your visit with your daughter!

icer101 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 16

i hate you were done like this, since you made a special effort for them. keep this in mind for the next rude person to do the same. hope it won,t be a next time. but, hey, this is dealing with all kinds of people, right? have a happy christmas.

neelycharmed Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 16

wow, that is so sad, you would think that they would have called and let you know... icon_eek.gif I don't know why people think that we nothing better to do then wait around for them, but its o.k. if they don't show up because they have better excuses or things to do (ie. sleep, apparently we cakers are part of the undead and never need sleep!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif
Jodi icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 16

That does suck.

Maybe you already did this but if I did something like that I inform the client in a diplomatic way that I am jumping through hoops to accomodate them and etc. So they get an understanding of what's at stake for me that I'm glad to do it but...

So the chance of getting screwed is less and they hopefully will have the grace to call if it falls through since I schooled them to call if something came up for them.

You can even prep them for an 8AM confirmation phone call or you will not be there at 10. Just like the pizza places--you don't answer, you cancelled the pizza/appointment.

Just some thoughts for going forward.

rowingmom Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 16

Good idea about calling to confirm. I will definetly implement that. I have never had anyone ever miss appoinment before, but it seems you have to plan for the 3% of the public that thinks it is all about them.

rowingmom Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 16

neelycharmed thank you for the laugh icon_lol.gif When I read your post I just could envision zombie cake bakers armed with cakes icon_biggrin.gif you made my day!!!

cabecakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 16

I believe I would have simply told him that, "sorry, I am currently on Christmas Break with my family, and he would have to schedule at another time." Anyone who would expect you to change your Christmas plans to accomodate them is not someone you want as a customer. I mean it is one thing to bend your schedule to fit a clients needs...it is totally another to disrupt your whole holiday break. I think this falls under the heading, "Just say no". I'm so sorry this happened to you. Some people can be total jerks sometimes. I think this is one of the reasons why I will never do this professionally, as much as I love doing it...people.

Melvira Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 16

Man, I would not have been polite. I would have told her that I was DANG tired too after picking up my family at the airport that came HOME FOR THE HOLIDAY, and not getting to bed until 1am, then getting back up at the crack of DAWN to specially prepare the delicious treats they BEGGED me to provide, which I did out of the kindness of my heart because I was in the HOLIDAY spirit. (Not so much now, thanks to your inconsiderate family, btw)

Yah, I would've been a beeyotch, there is NO doubt about it. If they were too tired to eat a piece of cake, they'd have a piece of my mind instead. And maybe a foot broken off in their @ss... tapedshut.gif

rowingmom Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 16

I was really tempted to let fly and I did in my mind, but they would be the types that would hurt my business by spreading tales about the grumpy baker. I counted to five and just politely reminded her I was by appoinment only and it would have been better to have cancelled before the samples had been prepared. It left them politely and quietly embaressed about their manners. On a good note the wedding venue I partner with had scheduled a tour a little later in the morning so the propesctive bride and groom got a impromtu tasting surpise and were please with the product so it wasn't a total waste. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingmom

I was really tempted to let fly and I did in my mind, but they would be the types that would hurt my business by spreading tales about the grumpy baker. I counted to five and just politely reminded her I was by appoinment only and it would have been better to have cancelled before the samples had been prepared. It left them politely and quietly embaressed about their manners. On a good note the wedding venue I partner with had scheduled a tour a little later in the morning so the propesctive bride and groom got a impromtu tasting surpise and were please with the product so it wasn't a total waste. icon_smile.gif

How cool! Love a happy ending.

I think it is cathartic to mentally whoop a$$ when someone jerks you around--better that than let it all build up like a geyser and take it all out on someone else. I'm glad that worked out to your business advantage anyhow.

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 16

For those who choose to chose over a holiday, let me remind you that auto-response on emails and voicemail response on the phone are tools that help you.

A VM or auto-email-response that says, "Thanks for contacting blah-blah bakery. We are closed for the holiday, Dec 22 thru Jan 2 and are not taking any cake orders at this time. Emails and VM's will be answered on Jan 3. Have a happy holiday!"

Kellbella Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:23pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenKat

That's it then! No cake for them and definitely no rescheduling! You don't want them as customers.

signed,

The Grinch

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Ditto to what Kitchenkat says!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%