Denser Cake

Baking By DaphneSUE Updated 25 Dec 2010 , 2:33am by playingwithsugar

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:47am
post #1 of 12

Any suggestions on how i can make my cakes more dense...im just using store bought cake mixes...thanks

11 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:56am
post #2 of 12

Add a box of instant pudding that matches or complements the cake mix.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:04am
post #3 of 12

thanks...also ive been having a problem with my cakes falling...any ideas?

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:33am
post #4 of 12

there are some great cake mix enhancer recipes....

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1953/super-enhanced-cake-formula

this one is my favorite for the moment.

also really good is the WASC
white almond sourcream cake

edited to add

having a denser cake might help with the falling apart

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:54am
post #5 of 12

I use Betty Crocker cake mix. I sift the mix, add the regular ingredients and also add 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 box of instant pudding mix. My cakes come out super moist and dense. This doesn't not work as well with the other cake mixes for some reason and obviously, you don't want to do this to the mixes that already have pudding in the mix.

DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:37am
post #6 of 12

i use the pillsbury mixes most of the time...ill have to try the betty crocker ones next time...thanks

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:16am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaphneSUE

thanks...also ive been having a problem with my
cakes falling...any ideas?

What do you mean by falling? The center is falling? They cakes are falling apart when moving? The cakes are falling when stacked?

Since were in a thread about making the cake denser i'll assume it's the first one, that the cake is falling when baked? If it's not just let us know and we can post about the others. If the center of the cake is falling after baking it usually means it's underbaked and needs to be baked longer. Are you testing the cake before removing it? This isn't the only reason, but it is the most common, expecially if you're using a box mix.

vharbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vharbin Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 12

There's a recipe on the Cake Boss site (software advertised on CC not the tv show) for a White Almond Sour Cream cake that uses a cake mix as the base. It's a great cake!! If you do try it, I suggest you line your pans with wax paper or parchment paper along with cooking spray. Otherwise, you'll be left with part of the cake in the bottom of the pan. Mine always stuck no matter how much spray I used until I started lining the pans.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vharbin

There's a recipe on the site (software advertised on CC not the tv show) for a White Almond Sour Cream cake that uses a cake mix as the base. It's a great cake!! If you do try it, I suggest you line your pans with wax paper or parchment paper along with cooking spray. Otherwise, you'll be left with part of the cake in the bottom of the pan. Mine always stuck no matter how much spray I used until I started lining the pans.

I use the Crisco cooking spray with flour (like Baker's Joy) and have never had a problem. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklysmom

I use Betty Crocker cake mix. I sift the mix, add the regular ingredients and also add 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 box of instant pudding mix. My cakes come out super moist and dense. This doesn't not work as well with the other cake mixes for some reason and obviously, you don't want to do this to the mixes that already have pudding in the mix.

I thought Betty had the pudding in there.

Anyhow--I think one of the reasons cakes fall is because we put too much batter in the pan and then don't allow enough bake time for that amount.

Another idea for nice dense cake is in the Cake Mix Doctor--her melted ice cream cake--if memory serves it's 16oz melted ice cream, cake mix, three eggs--any flavor combinations you want. It's a great cake. And I bet it would do pretty good with a recipe cake too--just substitute & jiggle around the correct ingredients.

DaphneSUE Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 12:27am
post #11 of 12

sorry it took so long to reply...yes they are falling either while baking or shortly after...but i have baked another cake today and what i did was turn down the temp from 350 to 330 and allow more time...this worked great...no falling at all...actually it was the best cake i have ever baked...also i used a new recipe...i was checking with a tooth pick when i was having problems...i thought i was getting a clean tooth pick but maybe i wasnt

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 2:33am
post #12 of 12

K8 -

Yes, Miss Betty's boxes do have pudding in the mix, but I add more anyway. I add it just at the end of the mixing, so it doesn't congeal the batter.

I get a crumb that is between a regular crumb and a pound cake, and the chocolate flavor gets fudgier.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%