How Do I Soften These Edges?!

Decorating By ThePurpleButterfly Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 6:13pm by ThePurpleButterfly

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 11

I just finished this cake and need to soften the white "wax" edges. Any tricks on how to do that? TIA!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamptons06/5287025884/in/photostream/

10 replies
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:31am
post #2 of 11

The trick to doing that is to do it while it's pliable. Work it with your fingers around the edges maybe even fold it under a little.

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:34am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyoungbl00d5

The trick to doing that is to do it while it's pliable. Work it with your fingers around the edges maybe even fold it under a little.



ACK! There's got to be something I can do now. I don't want to have to remove it. icon_confused.gif

Frecklysmom Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 11

There is probably a tried and true way but since I don't know what it is, I would try to soften it with a modeling tool. Maybe get the fondant slightly damp and try it. If that didn't work, I would run a fine line of royal icing around the edges to soften it.

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:58am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklysmom

There is probably a tried and true way but since I don't know what it is, I would try to soften it with a modeling tool. Maybe get the fondant slightly damp and try it. If that didn't work, I would run a fine line of royal icing around the edges to soften it.



I was thinking of doing RI around it too. thumbs_up.gif

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:23am
post #6 of 11

I just finished one yesterday..........I used my large ball tool, and just worked my way around the cake.

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:29am
post #7 of 11

Iv'e done something similar, I got my ball tool, dipped it in shortening, and worked my magic! The shortening helped the spots that had already begun to dry soften up a bit to make it easier and smoother!

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:39am
post #8 of 11

Ohhhh the ball tool! I'll give that a whirl!

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:41am
post #9 of 11

PurpleButterfly I love your candle cake! If I could, I have "fave" it right now! thumbs_up.gif

Kat

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:42am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsSuiteCakes

PurpleButterfly I love your candle cake! If I could, I have "fave" it right now! thumbs_up.gif

Kat



Yay!!! My photographer will be over to take pics tomorrow morning. I'll let you know when I put it up. icon_biggrin.gif

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 11

Pic posted!!! Feedback please! I def learned that the shaping should have been done right away. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%