Help! Why Is This Happening And How Do I Avoid It?

Decorating By amywood20 Updated 25 Dec 2010 , 4:13am by amywood20

amywood20 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 8

It seems every time I take dry luster dust and brush it on a fondant covered cake/fondant decorations it does not get an even coverage. I have some spots that are rich in color and others that barely hold any color at all. I end up with blotches of color, white spots (when using white fondant) that for whatever reason didn't take to the color, etc. Could this be caused by powered sugar/corn starch being left on the cake when I smoothed it (and can no longer see)? Or maybe due to a little Crisco that was used to help with dry spots? I don't know how to prevent this and it has made my Christmas Eve cake look horrible. I steam my fondant cakes after using the luster dust to make it "set" and become a little shiny, but that's after the fact I guess. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

7 replies
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:41am
post #2 of 8

Are you using it to cover all the cake? If you are you should use a big fluffy brush..like a powder make up type brush...that helps with even coverage. And yes if you have too much shortening then it would stick more on those areas. If I use cornstarch I always use shortening all over the cake (lightly) to get rid of that, but then I wouldn't do luster dust til it absorbed in to the fondant. Probably th next day I would use the luster dust.

leah_s Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:26am
post #3 of 8

The Crisco is the main culprit for the luster not sticking.

sugarshack Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:14am
post #4 of 8

I have never had good results dru dusting a whole cake for the same reasons. I spray it on...

Kitagrl Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:30am
post #5 of 8

I love the premade pearl airbrush spray they make now.....so easy to just airbrush a quick sheen on cakes.

sccandwbfan Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyoungbl00d5

you should use a big fluffy brush..like a powder make up type brush...that helps with even coverage.

What is the best way to clean a brush like this. Suppose I use a charcoal dust and then want to use white (pearl); is there any way to get all of the charcoal out of the brush?

Thanks everyone!!

Christy

sugarshack Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 8

yes Christy, get a glass or mug or bowl and put some cornstarch in it and keep swirling the brush in there, and tapping it off. till all of the first color dust is gone

amywood20 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:13am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of the feedback. I do have a great airbrush gun with a couple of shiny colors, but didn't want to get it out. I thought I was saving a little clean-up time by brushing on luster dust instead. Seems I created more work for myself as I had to try to make it look decent after the application was uneven. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%