How Much Would You Charge For A Jumbo/giant Cupcake/4"

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 10:07pm by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 12:17am
post #1 of 6

How much would you charge for a jumbo/giant cupcake or a 4" cake? I had a local photographer contact me this week and is interested in having me make giant cupcakes or 4 or 6 inch cakes when she does photo shoots with babies turning one. It would be a smash it up cake, but has to start out looking cute. I told her I'd get back to her on pricing, but to honest with you, I do this out of my home, so to make up just a little cake or cupcake seems like alot of work to only charge for one cupcake. But having said that, it would be good exposure for me to do it. I had already decided (Previously) that I wouldn't ever charge less than $50 to make a cake (it's just not worth my time to do it for any less)... but I can't see me charging $50 for a cupcake or 4 inch cake (pretty sure no one would pay that much for a cupcake... if they were in their right mind, lol)

What would you charge?

5 replies
Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 6

It depends on what you're looking for....money or advertising.
Personally, I would do it for under $50 for marketing and free advertising purposes. If its a basic cupcake with sprinkles I'd probably do if or $10 to $15 dollars. Considering all the materials you'd be wasting making One cupcake and delivery.
If you're looking for money..than i agree its not worth it.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 6

How is your freezer space? If I were in the same situation, I would bake all left-over batter in the 4" size, triple wrap them in saran wrap and freeze them. Being frozen once will not harm them, and it is for a baby to smash up, who wouldn't care anyways. Once you have an order, pull it out and decorate it. If you pick a design with colors you have on hand, you could do it in 15 minutes or less. I would charge $15. For all custom colors, maybe $20.

With that being said, if I had an order for a dozen of them, I wouldn't charge anywhere near that! Probably $5 or $6 each, depending on design. But I charge for dragging it all out!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:48am
post #4 of 6

what do u charge for a smash cake normally? i have made a few giant cupcakes, if you are talking about the ones that u make out of the giant cupcake pan, and it feeds normally 15-18 people. i would charge per serving like i do for cakes. if you are talking about the jumbo cupcakes like a little bigger than a standard, mine go for 3.25 each for buttercream, but most smash cakes are bigger than that. dont short yourself just for the exposure, u still have to pay the bills!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:04am
post #5 of 6

that's a great idea Anna!

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 6

So i decided that I would charge $10, but I am going to make up a bunch and freeze them and just keep it a simple design so that it's an easy peasy, quick cupcake to make. It will be good exposure and i think it will be worth doing it for that reason alone. I don't think it's worth it though for a 4 or 6 inch cake, I don't think she wanted to pay as much as I was going to charge for that size. But that's ok with me b/c who's kidding who, to make a 4/6 inch cake will take as much effort as anything bigger. cupcakes on the other hand are pretty quick to make. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%