Chocolate Cake Falling...

Baking By madgeowens Updated 24 Dec 2010 , 5:24am by Apti

madgeowens Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:19am
post #1 of 17

and yes its cake mix, and nothing additional added ....the dang things keep ya think its cause i am baking at lower temp...340?? Used a cone, and even my sheet cake fell

16 replies
ConfectionsCC Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:28am
post #2 of 17

I always bake at 325, 340 seems very high to me! Try bringing the temp down, that will allow for more even baking and less rise and fall! Good luck! If that doesn't help maybe someone else will know what will!

cake_architect Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:35am
post #3 of 17

i also bake at 325, i've never heard of 340 being used! i agree, try lowering the temp and maybe you'll get better results. be aware, however, that it will take the cakes a little longer to bake at this temp!

cake_architect Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:42am
post #4 of 17

i also bake at 325, i've never heard of 340 being used! i agree, try lowering the temp and maybe you'll get better results. be aware, however, that it will take the cakes a little longer to bake at this temp!

i found this on

If the top of the cake dropped:

The oven temperature was too hot.
The cake was not cooked long enough.
The oven door was opened too soon, which created a draft.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #5 of 17

Cake mixes are supposed to bake at 350 degrees.
They bake great at that temp. 340 should not cause it to fall though.

You using wet strips? That lengthens bake time.

Maybe your oven cycles too slowly. Do you have an oven thermometer in there?

madgeowens Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #6 of 17

The directions call for 350....I thought 340 would be better.............I did open the door to check on it.........its a super bif sheet cake, and the darn thing looked done and then dipped.grrrr.......well maybe I will have to try lower.....I use to always bake at 350 and never had this problem though....but I hear it woud be more even and moist to turn lower so I been doing that, and hae been getting this falling

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:00am
post #7 of 17

Yeah that ain't working for yah, CakeBuddy. It's ok to trust the developers of the cake mix and bake at the proper temp. No worries.

You want more moist? Do some splash after baking. Simple syrup plus flavoring of some kind--or even just the plain splash without flavor.

madgeowens Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 6:15am
post #8 of 17

I guess if it aint broke why fix it was fine for years and then I started messing with it.....thanks...doesnt that syrup make the cake hard?

cheatize Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 7:28am
post #9 of 17

No, the syrup adds moisture so it makes it softer. If you put on too much syrup, you end up with cake mush. What I don't know is how much to use. I how much is too much from experience, though. icon_smile.gif
I have a cake on the table right now that could use a punch of flavor. I'm considering brushing the top with vanilla simple syrup.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 17

You have to cook it till the sugar dissolves.

Sugar is a very funny chemical--if there is one grain of uncooked still crystalized sugar on the side of the pot, it will reactivate all the melted crystals around it into being crystals again. I mean not the whole batch but enough that you could get crusty spots. But there easy to see in a simple syrup and that rarely happens too.

You just boil it till it's clear. Done. Add flavoring after it cools a bit.

But just read up on simple syrup a bit and you'll see the jiggle method--where you put the sugar in the middle of the pot of water and heat it up and just jiggle the pot a bit.

And I mean you are not soaking the cake--you are brushing on one layer of syrup or squirting like for a 9x13 maybe a quarter of cup give or take, maybe a bit more, a thirdish.

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 17

I'm a cake mix baker .... I used baking strips; I bake at 325; my cakes dome well. I'd check the temp of your oven and avoid opening the door too often.

We did our annual cookie baking day at my daughter's on Tuesday and I told her to crank her oven temp up .... I remembered from last year that it took FOREVER for the cookies to bake at 350. We turned it up to 375 and they were baking like they were supposed to, so I'm pretty sure her oven temp is off by 25 degrees. It can happen.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 17

You overfilling your pans?

What I do is start 'em off at 350 and when it gets close to the time they should come out and I'm iffy--I turn the oven down 25 degrees every ten minutes because it takes forever to bake off some of those suckers and you're like--oh my god this is gonna be sand when I get it out but no it's just not compelely done--but backing that temp off will help it get done and avoid crisping it out.

Watch for the sides to pull away from the pan.

madgeowens Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:43am
post #13 of 17

I think I will check the oven oven light quit working and I cant fix the darn thing, so I have to open to see if its done. They keep saying in here if the cake pulls away from the sides its over I use to know how to bake, but the more I read the worse I am getting lol.......My cakes are almost always moist, once in a great while I will get one not as moist as I like. Thanks for all the tips....

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:53am
post #14 of 17
Originally Posted by madgeowens I use to know how to bake, but the more I read the worse I am getting lol.......

Ain't it the truth!! Its amazing how much I think I know until I find out how much I don't know! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

madgeowens Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:12am
post #15 of 17

VickeyC Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:25am
post #16 of 17

Sorry this is happening to you. The same thing happened to me last week with choc. cake. I had 2 - 14" rounds to fall and a sheet cake. Thought it was because I used the wrong flour in my WASC, but the straight mix did it as well. icon_confused.gif Not really sure what the problem was. My other cakes in the oven at the same time, turned out fine, but the choc. kept falling. icon_eek.gif

Apti Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:24am
post #17 of 17

Yup. Happened to me too with chocolate. Looked great, passed toothpick test, baked at 325, yadda, yadda, yadda

10 minutes later, whole middle fell. No idea, Madge. Never happened before or since.

Quote by @%username% on %date%