How To Cover A Cake Board In Fondant?

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm by sugarshack

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 1:41am
post #1 of 12

I figured I'd cover the board and then place the cake on it but the only video I could find on it had you place the cake and then put the fondant around the cake. How do you do it? Any tips or tricks that you care to share?

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 1:55am
post #2 of 12

I cover the board first, then put the cake on. I think the people who put the cake on, then cover the board, do it that way because it takes less fondant. I use homemade fondant, so it's not that expensive.

I use foamboard, and I put the ball of fondant directly onto the foamboard, and then roll it in all directions until it coveres the board. Then just glue a ribbon around the board...I use tacky glue because it doesn't drip like elmer's. You can use texture mats or cutters or rubber stamps to make a pattern in the fondant once it's on the board, if you want to. After a couple of days the fondant hardens so much that you can touch it without leaving marks...I've had people try to return my "plate" before, and it was just a fondant-covered cake board.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 12

I cover the board with fondant then take a cake circle the sixe of my cake and cut out the spot where the cake will be. You don't waste as much fondant this way. Hope this helps.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 2:22am
post #4 of 12

i simply roll my fondant big enough to cover the board . . Dampen the board with some water or sugar glue, and place the fondant over, go over with a smoother, trim and smooth the edges, then i sometimes add a thin ribbon around the edge of the board for a bit of extra flair icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 12

I have a related question - how do you keep the board clean while you do your buttercream (or ganache in my case) coating on the cake before covering it in fondant? Or do people generally cover the cake completely before placing it on the board? (I just find it easier to decorate the bottom teir directly on the base board, so it doesn't have to be moved)

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 12

if your covering the board with fondant it doesnt really matter if u get smears on it, just scrape off any chunky bits! i usually just fondant around the cake, so no one sees whats underneath

Coral3 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:04am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiessweet_sin_sations

if your covering the board with fondant it doesnt really matter if u get smears on it, just scrape off any chunky bits! i usually just fondant around the cake, so no one sees whats underneath

But if you're covering the whole board before putting the cake on it?

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:54am
post #8 of 12

no i dont, i cover after i use my cake round then cover the board around it. or sometimes i will use a larger round, and cover around the cake after i have covered the cake.

Coral3 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:09am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiessweet_sin_sations

no i dont, i cover after i use my cake round then cover the board around it. or sometimes i will use a larger round, and cover around the cake after i have covered the cake.

That's what I've always done too...I've often wondered though how people who cover the board with fondant, let it dry out, THEN put the cake on the already covered board manage to keep the board clean while they buttercream & fondant the cake itself. I guess they decorate the cake on something else then lift and transfer it to the covered board? Even doing that the fondant covered board would get messy easily. Dunno. It just has be baffled. icon_razz.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:10am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

I have a related question - how do you keep the board clean while you do your buttercream (or ganache in my case) coating on the cake before covering it in fondant? Or do people generally cover the cake completely before placing it on the board? (I just find it easier to decorate the bottom teir directly on the base board, so it doesn't have to be moved)

i always use a foam core board with a piece of scrapbook paper tacked down to it, covered with clear contact paper. i too decorate the bottom tier directly on the board and i've found with this technique i never have trouble with grease stains on the board- they just wipe right off!

i usually buy the roll of clear contact paper at walmart for around $5, its big enough to cover many boards!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:46am
post #11 of 12

I use a board cut to the exact size of my cake and then I use a larger, fondant-covered board to put the cake on. The board that the cake is on goes on top of the fondant-covered board.

The way that I cover the cake, I need the board under the cake itself to be the size of the cake. Otherwise I end up needing a bottom border on my fondant.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

This is exactly why i cover my board last, i always mess it up if i cover it first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%