How Far Ahead Can I Make. . . . .

Baking By Sweetlepea Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 6:16am by KJ62798

Sweetlepea Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 6

Vienesse crescent cookies, and Kolackys? (the flat circles you fold up over jam). I need them for XMas Eve and Day, but wanted to go ahead and make the, before things get crazy. I just dont want them to end up being yucky by then. The cresents especially because you roll them in powdered sugar. Which I guess could wait until day of come to think of it so it doesnt all just get absorbed between now and then.. Anyways, any advice? icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Sweetlepea Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 6

Darn, noone knows? icon_sad.gif

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #3 of 6

I mean to me, the biggest problem with making kolachkies in advance, dude, I cannot stop eating them. So you could make them several days in advance but --don't even tell me or they will disappear! icon_biggrin.gif

If you roll the other cookies cold (room temp) when there is no warmth in them they should stay fine--also being made several days in advance should be fine. These are like Russion teacakes or Mexican cookies yes?

The kolachkies probably will need a fresh dusting of powdered sugar because the jelly will eat it.

You making apricot??? <be still my beating heart>
You using a cream cheese dough??? mmmmmmmmmmmm

Sweetlepea Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:28am
post #4 of 6

LOL yes, cream cheese dough, I have never made or even had them before.. they just looked and sounded so yummy so I just had to this year icon_smile.gif
Thanks for your advice!!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:34am
post #5 of 6

Heads up on that dough. It sticks like glue and then oh no you have to eat all the booboo cookies icon_biggrin.gif

No but seriously it does stick real bad so just bake one cookie at a time till you get a good grip on how much jelly works & how much grease your aluminum foil needs. I always bake mine on aluminum foil. I think if any of the jelly bakes out you're toast on parchment but I haven't made them in a long time. But that's what works for me.

KJ62798 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 6:16am
post #6 of 6

I just made kolachis a month or so ago w/my son for a school project. They baked up on parchment just fine. I made sure to keep everything REALLY cold. I only worked w/small batches of the dough and kept the rest in the fridge. Sheets of prepped cookies went back into the fridge before I baked them.

Most of the recipes recc'd that they be frozen if you plan to make them way ahead of time. I believe you can even make the cookies & freeze w/o baking so that you can pull out what you need and bake them as needed.

The leftover ones tasted great a few days later but the PS definately absorbed into the dough and they got mushy.

Good luck--they are very addictive. I wanted to make some for Christmas for my Polish family but I don't think my thighs can take the temptation along with all the other goodies we have here.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%