Fondant Disaster!

Baking By blissra Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm by blissra

blissra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissra Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 5

I could really use some help with what to do with excess fondant! I used this recipe http://britishfood.about.com/od/christmasrecipes/a/iceachristmascake.htm (the egg white one) and it just wasn't forming a dough, in the end I had to split the fondant mix and add another KILO of icing sugar to make it dry enough!! All in all I've used 2 kilos in it, it's nuts. But I now have a large bowl of sloppy fondant mix left over and no idea what to do with it as I only needed to ice one cake. should I use another kilo of sugar and then try and store the dough, or is there something else I could do with it? any suggestions are really appreciated!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 5

Sure. You can store it for several weeks.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 5

I have made fondant and I usually use a recipe that does not have egg white. I have one that does and for the icing sugar in your recipe mine only has one egg white. You will need to add more icing sugar and it can be stored in polythene or clingfilm I think thats US saran wrap for a few weeks in a cool place.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 5

Very strange recipe for fondant. It looks very similar to royal icing, with just those 3 ingredients.

At the very end it says this: "Leave to dry and the icing to set hard (at least overnight up to two to three days) before serving. If not serving immediately, store in an airtight tin."

If I wanted my fondant to set hard on top of my cake, I would just cover my cake with royal icing. I have made fondant and I think glycerin is important. The recipes I've seen also have more corn syrup, and all of them start with gelatin.

Hope it all works out for you. Definitely let us know.

blissra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissra Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 5

thanks guys! yeah I think the recipe called for far too much liquid, so I won't make that mistake again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%