What Do They Use

Decorating By megan81 Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 9:01am by cake_architect

megan81 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:22am
post #1 of 4


I'm fairly new to cake decorating and was wondering if someone could tell me what they use to pipe around the fondant like the cake below? Is it royal icing? As I know fondant cakes can't be put in the fridge so thought it wouldn't be buttercream icon_smile.gif

3 replies
megan81 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:23am
post #2 of 4

I can't seem to add the photo but it's a pic of a number one fondant cake and would like to know what they use to pipe around the bottom edges of it.

butterlove Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:09am
post #3 of 4

Hi Megan81,

It's hard to say without seeing the picture but RI is used on fondant cakes quite often for relief designs. It works really well and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

cake_architect Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:01am
post #4 of 4

megan81, yes you can refrigerate fondant. you put buttercream under the fondant to make it stick, so yes you can use it outside of the cake as well =D hth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%