Favorite Red Velvet Cake Recipe

Baking By mom2twogrlz Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 3:35am by tiggy2

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 9

My sister just requested a Red Velvet Cake for her birthday this weekend. Yes, this weekend, Christmas weekend!!! UUGGG!!!! I guess it isn't her fault she was born 2 days after Christmas, so she should still get her cake. icon_biggrin.gif

But since it is Christmas, and I am hosting our huge family for 5 days, I will not have time to "try" several different recipes. icon_lol.gif

What is your favorite Red Velvet Recipe? If you don't mind sharing that is. icon_redface.gif

Thanks!!!!

8 replies
mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 12:09am
post #2 of 9

Mine would be Cakeman Raven's. You can google, it's everywhere on the web. icon_wink.gif

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 12:11am
post #3 of 9

Below is a link to my Red Velvet taste test. 8 cakes, 25 tasters, and one winner.... Cake Man Raven's Red Velvet.

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2009/11/ultimate-red-velvet-cake-taste-off-8.html

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 12:36am
post #4 of 9

moreCakePlz, your taste test and the results along with the images are GREAT!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 9

I've tried both Cakeman Raven's and Sarah's Red Velvet (as well as a couple of other forgettable ones). I personally liked Sarah's better, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Here's the link to Sarah's: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7377/sarahs-red-velvet-cake-tweaked

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 12:41am
post #6 of 9

I second the Sarah's Red Velvet. I have tried a lot of different recipes, and this is by far my, and everyone else's, favorite.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 1:07am
post #7 of 9

Sarah's all the way.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 1:47am
post #8 of 9

OK. Those are the two I was considering. I was hoping there would be a clear winner, but I guess not.

Has anyone tried both? If so, could you tell me the differnce between them?

Does anyone know if I can make my own buttermilk for those recipes with milk and vinager? They didn't have any at the store I went to, and would hate to pack the girls up again to go to another one.

Thanks again!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:35am
post #9 of 9

I always use milk and vinegar instead of buttermilk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%