Red Velvet Cake Using Beets

Baking By annie84 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 10:48pm by mykangaroo

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a traditional red velvet recipe that uses beets instead of red food colouring. I've found a lot of recipes use way too much food colouring and have heard that using beets gives a nice rich colour (not bright red) and makes a really moist cake. Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforeste

(...) and have heard that using beets gives a nice rich colour (not bright red) (...)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

You have????
I have tried lots of ways of trying to get red cakes with beet, and none of them has ever stayed red.
The dough has always this beautiful colour and then it becomes yellow after baked... icon_sad.gif
I have used it raw, boiled and dehydratated (powdered)
Do you have any recipe????

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 12:35am
post #3 of 7

I took a cake decorating class this fall and one of the instructors told me this was the case. She did not give out her recipe though icon_sad.gif

yeneleti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeneleti Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie84

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a traditional red velvet recipe that uses beets instead of red food colouring. I've found a lot of recipes use way too much food colouring and have heard that using beets gives a nice rich colour (not bright red) and makes a really moist cake. Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

hey !

I don't know if you found the recipe of red velvet yet, but this link may help you. I tried it and it was delicious cake and reeed velvet but I used powder food color.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PCZkpF1_wU&feature=related

I hope that I helped some how .

yeneleti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeneleti Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

Quote:
Originally Posted by aforeste

(...) and have heard that using beets gives a nice rich colour (not bright red) (...)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

You have????
I have tried lots of ways of trying to get red cakes with beet, and none of them has ever stayed red.
The dough has always this beautiful colour and then it becomes yellow after baked... icon_sad.gif
I have used it raw, boiled and dehydratated (powdered)
Do you have any recipe????

hey !

I don't know if you found the recipe of red velvet yet, but this link may help you. I tried it and it was delicious cake and reeed velvet but I used powder food color.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:50am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeneleti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related

The link isn't working... icon_smile.gif
Could you pm it to me?
Thanks! icon_smile.gif

mykangaroo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykangaroo Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 7

yesterday I made a red velvet cake and no one liked the the caked except my sister. I'm supposed to do a red velvet for a baby shower and I'm in desperate need of a great reciepe. please help me ANYONE?!
icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%