Writing On Cakes

Decorating By Debbiee Updated 28 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm by CWR41

Debbiee Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 15

I am fairly new at cake decorating. Does anyone have any great tips for writing on cakes. This seems to be the hardest thing for me. Any comments would be appreciated.

14 replies
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 15

Best thing ever - tappits.

(google it if you haven't seen them)

Loucinda Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 15

LASER LEVEL - no strings or marks on the cake to have whatever you are using for letters even & straight across the entire cake. I use a cheap battery operated one from Walmart.

sunlover00 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 15

Hard way: print out what you want to write on the cake and mark lines with pins. Then, imprint the pattern onto your crusted buttercream. Some people use clear gel also.

Easy way: use a cake projector!

Sangriacupcake Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 15

Tappits are so cute, but beautifully hand lettered cakes look so elegant to me. Unfortunately, my hand writing leaves a lot to be desired, so I've been experimenting with different styles and fonts. I made up some "practice" buttercream using just shortening, powdered sugar, and water....several times a week I practice making different flowers, then I practice writing. I'm really improving! The icing can be scraped back into an airtight container and used for many months. I got the idea from Serious Cakes.

There's an old book (now out of print, I believe) called Writing in Icing by Mary Ford. I checked it out of my library and copied some of the pages. It has some helpful info to get you started on the right foot, then gives pages and pages of examples of different styles of writing. Maybe ebay has some copies?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 15

I agree with Leah! I also love my cricut cake for lettering...

cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:47am
post #7 of 15
Originally Posted by sunlover00

Easy way: use a cake projector!

That's what I am talking about!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tryingcake Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:33am
post #8 of 15

Tappits and the cricut are great if you have them. Most likely, if you are just starting out, you don't.

This is a tutorial I made a long time ago before I obtained the "fancy" toys:

It makes writing on a cake a snap.

Coral3 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 11:26am
post #9 of 15

I can't pipe text to save myself (and nothing ruins an otherwise perfect cake quicker than botched piped text!) so I LLLOOOVE my Tappits - once you get the hang of them it's really easy to make PERFECT lettering. I've just bought a set of Windsor Clixstix and they are brilliant too - they're quicker and easier than tappits. ...Sorry I'm no help on piping!

indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 11:55am
post #10 of 15

Wilton sells letter presses that I use a LOT (my paper writing is kinda pretty but my cake writin really sucks!). Another tip is to move your whole arm when writing. Don't move just your wrist, like you do when using a pen or pencil, but move your whole arm in a nice flow.

Print out some large font phrases and practice piping the icing on the top of them until you get the feel for the icing flow and the arm movement.

susiekoos Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 15

When I first started decorating my writing was so bad . But after lots of practicing much , much better. Just practice and you will get better at it !

tokazodo Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 12:22am
post #12 of 15

I like my lazar leveler too for keeping a straight line! I have two of them so i can find top dead center of the cake too.
I find the simpler I keep my writing, the better my writing looks.

sechrestloans Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:26am
post #13 of 15

Love my tappits and just bought hte cricut mini over Thanksgiving weekend, but havent had a chance to sit down with it yet. Hopefully with both of those I wont have to write too much with buttercream.. cause I stink at that!!

cakegroove Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 15

You either got it, or you dont. Just my opinion. I detest writing on cakes. make sure you have good crusting buttercream so once it dries if it sucks you can pick it off with a tooth pick and start over

CWR41 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm
post #15 of 15
Originally Posted by cakegroove

make sure you have good crusting buttercream so once it dries if it sucks you can pick it off with a tooth pick and start over

Or, you can chill your cake and scrape it off!

Quote by @%username% on %date%