Help....soft, Sticky Gumpaste.

Baking By christinapp Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 5:09pm by christinapp

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 4

I recently moved back to the Caribbean (St.Lucia) after living in New York and have a problem with my gumpaste items getting soft and sticky when it rains. When the sun comes out and it's nice and hot again, they stiffen up. If it rains again, they get soft all over.
Is this caused by the moisture in the atmosphere?, and how can i remedy this? Have a cake due on christmas holiday, and the items that I made three weeks ago are still soft.

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 4

I add extra tylose/CMC to gumpaste. Nothing affects it then! Also work in extra cornstarch. I have to work really fast, but it dries fast and is strong.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 4

But with your existing flowers etc you have already made, you should place them onto a tray (with support if necessary) in a low heat oven overnight. In the morning, turn the oven off and let them cool completely, then place them onto acidfree paper in a box with silica gel granules or sachets to absorb the moisture. You might need to change the silica (rejuvenate it in the oven) every day or two.

Another technique is to bury them half way into corn starch in a large container (this works well for frangipanis etc).

Another technique is to dry them out in a dehydrator. I picked one up for $30 at Aldi last year and use it a LOT to dry my petals etc overnight or two dry things out when they have taken on a bit of moisture.

I hope this helps!

Now that you are in a humid climate, future flowers and sugar art might need more tylose (or similar) and cornstarch.

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much ladies. This info is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%