Christmas Tree Cake From Next Great Baker Show!

Decorating By megg5 Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 12:52am by Karen421

megg5 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone saw the next great baker last night?! I loved the guys christmas tree, but they skipped out on how they supported the cake!! I understand you need a great center support. But they carved round cakes almost into a star shape, then off set each tier to look like branches! (*am i making sense!? ha ha) would they have used cardboard cut like the star shape under each tier, or plywood, or what?! Thanks!!

10 replies
bakencake Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 11

i was changing channels off and on but i did see it. I also wish i knew how they did it it was amazing icon_eek.gif !!! i would think that they did use plywood. those cakes are really heavy and cardboard would not cut it, just like the girls cake when it started to sag because they used cardboard. if anybody else know how they did this do share. that was a freaking awesome cake. thumbs_up.gif

sweettooth622 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 11

I watched bits & peices of the show too and I managed to catch the part where they were arguing over whether to use wood or foam core....not sure which one they chose, but I agree...those cakes get heavy, so why wouldn't you use something heavier than foam core or cardboard?

CakesHeaven Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 11

I watched it and the cake looked amazing.
They never really showed the material they used for each tier but when they are shaping the one the base looked thicker then cardboard. I would say they used plywood as it was very sturdy and just made sure the fondant covered it.

debster Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 11

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ I missed that. Have to watch for the repeat I just did a stand up cake in my photos for someone who had to have an upright tree. I just used rounds and filled it all in with the LARGE leaf tip. The photo wasnt' the greatest. Anyway, I'm waiting to see how shapely the one from cake boss is.

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 11

The bottom base was plywood. I didn't see what they used for the other tiers.

I agree with others, it was the best cake done there yet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Alfiesmom Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 11

the bottom was plywood and then for each layer they used foamcore. they argued back & forth about wood or foamboard and the foamboard men won. they said it wasn't going to be that heavy because it wasn't filled. it was very pretty, wasn't it? in the blue & white

bakencake Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 11

wow deb, your cake is great!! good job thumbs_up.gif

CakesHeaven Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiesmom

the bottom was plywood and then for each layer they used foamcore. they argued back & forth about wood or foamboard and the foamboard men won. they said it wasn't going to be that heavy because it wasn't filled. it was very pretty, wasn't it? in the blue & white

I remember that now, they did use foamboard because the wood guys wondered if it would support the weight of the cakes and the foamboard guy wondered about the extra weight of the cake all together.
The main platform/base was wood with the pipe. icon_biggrin.gif

megg5 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 11

thanks all!!! I think i might give it a whirl!! of course on a much smaller scale!! I will post pictures if i find sometime to do it before the holiday!

Karen421 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 12:52am
post #11 of 11

Crustymuffin (AKA Brian from the show) is a CC member. You can pm him and I am sure he will answer your questions. There is another thread he is talking about it on. (skip the first 9 pages and go to page 10)

http://sidebysideblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/amazing-christmas-tree-cake.html

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%